WDsmartware building etilqs_ files in my windows temp folder - filling my drive!

I’ve followed the excellent advice of Lucky_Phil (page 10 of the WDFME.exe RAM hog topic) in order to regain use of my computer and retain WD SmartWare in the hope that it will be improved.  I’ve set WDFMEService to manual (using Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services) and created switches using .cmd files on the Desktop as he suggested to turn WDFME on and off.

I’ve noticed that etilqs files are created in Windows/Temp as soon as I turn on WDFME.  These are deleted immediately when WDFME is switched off, which I presume is WD’s intention.  If this happens there is no problem

However if I turn on WDFME and then later simply ‘Turn Off Computer’ the etilqs files are not deleted.  This represents what most users would do, so it’s no wonder they build up over time.

I’ve also notice that the etilqs files are created almost as soon as WDFME is switched on as ‘0 kb’.  Most are gradually populated but some seem to remain empty all the time, even when the backup is complete. Is this another issue?

I’m using XP on a Sony Vaio Laptop with a relatively small C: partition for system and program files so any permanent buildup of hidden ‘temp’ files is a real problem.