WDFME.exe RAM hog

Very interesting point…

My Samsung np300e7a laptop (Win7 Ultimate - 6Gb RAM) does NOT suffer the same way that my dell desktop does (Win7 Dell XPS 3100 8Gb RAM i7 processor - see below)

On the desktop (Win7 Prof) the WDFME process, if left to run, will use up to 90% of available RAM (eg the desktop will run like a dog, I will stop the WDFME process, and the used RAM will then drop from 98% to 9%)

One the laptop, if I leave the WDFME process running, it never uses more than c25% RAM

Is this because the laptop has Win7 Ultimate? Or just because it has a different motherboard design?

Hope this helps

Alex

AlexRJ wrote:

1. No (Win7 Prof 64-bit - apparently doesn’t have bitlocker…)

2. not as far as I am aware - maybe am backing up My Docs (is this encrypted automatically by my Windows login?)

3. there are some zip files nested within the folders that are being backed up

4. Just the one - MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 - version 1.0.0.7 - HOWEVER, I KNOW THAT VSS SERVICE IS *NOT* TURNED ON (it requires a manual start)

5. Source Partitions is NTFS

Hope this helps - fingers crossed re: a fix, as am getting fed up with having to stop the WDFME process so I can get down from 98% RAM Usage to 9%… (makes my PC run faster! - its got 8Gb RAM)

Anyone that is having a high memory issue can you tell me the following (it would be helpful for verification):

1. Is Bit Locker turned on?
  2. Are you backing up encrypted files/folders?
  3. Are you backing up compressed files/folders?
  4. Can you also collect the list of VSS providers that are installed on the systems and provide? From an administrative command prompt type:  vssadmin list providers
  5. Are your source partitions are Fat32, exFat, or external USB drives?'

We are currently targeting a major overhaul for the 1.6.x version, there will not be a 1.5.5.x as referenced in my previous posts.  This release should follow the release of 1.5.4.x that features a new installer.

Thanks, your post here was very helpful.