WDFME.exe RAM hog

Another frustrated customer here. It takes at least an hour for my computer to “settle down” after boot-up into a usable state (as in open and closing applications without it taking minutes rather than seconds) since this last upgrade.

I’ve read through this whole thread (all the while wdfm.exe was literally sucking the life out of my resources) and can share that I use FireFox. It follows right after WDFME.exe in Task Manager under Processes in terms of usage. I’m posting this message right now using FireFox so I can’t swich to Chrome but I will check out this option.

To address the requested questions from a previous post (cited below) :

1. No

2. No

3. Yes, there are some zips, gz and possibly tar

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: ‘MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0’
Provider type: System
Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
Version: 1.0.0.7

1. NTFS: 147 GB with a 55 MB FAT partition and another 3.19 GB FAT32 parition on the hard (source) drive.

I’ve actually seen WDFME.exe at 97% CPU. Ack! Not that I’m in the habit of checking unless I’m having a problem but I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a resource hog.

Hope there’s a fix for this soon or I will have to shut down this feature and look for another option.

Seems like most companies can either get the hardware right but not the applications to run it (or vice versa). Are these mutually exclusive skill sets? It seems that Apple has found a way to around this.

Thx.

Laura

Anyone that is having a high memory issue can you tell me the following (it would be helpful for verification):

1. Is Bit Locker turned on?
  2. Are you backing up encrypted files/folders?
  3. Are you backing up compressed files/folders?
  4. Can you also collect the list of VSS providers that are installed on the systems and provide? From an administrative command prompt type:  vssadmin list providers
  5. Are your source partitions are Fat32, exFat, or external USB drives?'

We are currently targeting a major overhaul for the 1.6.x version, there will not be a 1.5.5.x as referenced in my previous posts.  This release should follow the release of 1.5.4.x that features a new installer.