Frequent Advisor
Robert_C

Re: WDFME.exe RAM hog

WD: I think it's also important for you to remember that not everyone has 8 Gb of RAM, and the latest and greatest CPU. Many of us only have 1-2 Gb of ram.

Collector
logrady

Another frustrated customer here. It takes at least an hour for my computer to "settle down" after boot-up into a usable state (as in open and closing applications without it taking minutes rather than seconds) since this last upgrade.

I've read through this whole thread (all the while wdfm.exe was literally sucking the life out of my resources) and can share that I use FireFox. It follows right after WDFME.exe in Task Manager under Processes in terms of usage. I'm posting this message right now using FireFox so I can't swich to Chrome but I will check out this option.

To address the requested questions from a previous post (cited below) :

1. No

2. No

3. Yes, there are some zips, gz and possibly tar

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
Provider type: System
Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
Version: 1.0.0.7

5. NTFS: 147 GB with a 55 MB FAT partition and another 3.19 GB FAT32 parition on the hard (source) drive.

I've actually seen WDFME.exe at 97% CPU. Ack! Not that I'm in the habit of checking unless I'm having a problem but I don't think I've ever seen such a resource hog.

Hope there's a fix for this soon or I will have to shut down this feature and look for another option.

Seems like most companies can either get the hardware right but not the applications to run it (or vice versa). Are these mutually exclusive skill sets? It seems that Apple has found a way to around this.

Thx.

Laura

Anyone that is having a high memory issue can you tell me the following (it would be helpful for verification):

1. Is Bit Locker turned on?
  2. Are you backing up encrypted files/folders?
  3. Are you backing up compressed files/folders?
  4. Can you also collect the list of VSS providers that are installed on the systems and provide? From an administrative command prompt type:  vssadmin list providers
  5. Are your source partitions are Fat32, exFat, or external USB drives?'

We are currently targeting a major overhaul for the 1.6.x version, there will not be a 1.5.5.x as referenced in my previous posts.  This release should follow the release of 1.5.4.x that features a new installer.

Occasional Visitor
BillyJ

This is really bad.  First, WD burned me when one of tir hard dirves failed after being in my pc for less than 1 year.  Now, my new external drive I use to backup my pc is dominating the whole computer and making it useless.  I have a fix - I am in the process of unistalling this software and will use the drive as a simple external drive where I drag and drop files for backups.  I am so extremely disappointed...

Advisor
AlexRJ

Very interesting point....

My Samsung np300e7a laptop (Win7 Ultimate - 6Gb RAM) does NOT suffer the same way that my dell desktop does (Win7 Dell XPS 3100 8Gb RAM i7 processor - see below)

On the desktop (Win7 Prof) the WDFME process, if left to run, will use up to 90% of available RAM (eg the desktop will run like a dog, I will stop the WDFME process, and the used RAM will then drop from 98% to 9%)

One the laptop, if I leave the WDFME process running, it never uses more than c25% RAM

Is this because the laptop has Win7 Ultimate? Or just because it has a different motherboard design?

Hope this helps

Alex

AlexRJ wrote:

1. No (Win7 Prof 64-bit - apparently doesn't have bitlocker....)

2. not as far as I am aware - maybe am backing up My Docs (is this encrypted automatically by my Windows login?)

3. there are some zip files nested within the folders that are being backed up

4. Just the one - MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0 - version 1.0.0.7 - HOWEVER, I KNOW THAT VSS SERVICE IS *NOT* TURNED ON (it requires a manual start)

5. Source Partitions is NTFS

Hope this helps - fingers crossed re: a fix, as am getting fed up with having to stop the WDFME process so I can get down from 98% RAM Usage to 9%........ (makes my PC run faster! - its got 8Gb RAM)

Anyone that is having a high memory issue can you tell me the following (it would be helpful for verification):

1. Is Bit Locker turned on?
  2. Are you backing up encrypted files/folders?
  3. Are you backing up compressed files/folders?
  4. Can you also collect the list of VSS providers that are installed on the systems and provide? From an administrative command prompt type:  vssadmin list providers
  5. Are your source partitions are Fat32, exFat, or external USB drives?'

We are currently targeting a major overhaul for the 1.6.x version, there will not be a 1.5.5.x as referenced in my previous posts.  This release should follow the release of 1.5.4.x that features a new installer.

Thanks, your post here was very helpful.

Occasional Visitor
Georgeair

As bad as this issue has been since inception, it really seems to have gotten much worse in the past few weeks. Now usage spikes to 40-65% when trying to startup IE8, etc. I have to disable this each time I restart. I would just remove the software but need the drive encrypted and this was easier than having to load another encryption package as well as backup option.

I mistakenly hoped that WD would sort this out. I can't believe that in months, not days, they have done nothing to resolve this issue. Unbelievable.

Visitor
JohnPearce

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem - HUGE amounts of memory ALL the time 262.488K as I write this.  I have often gone intio CTRL + ALT + DELETE to get to TASJK MANAQGER gone to PROCESSES, clickded on MEMORY USEAGE and WDFME.exe is ALWAYS top....  I end use" and all is OK for a while and then the **bleep** thing comes back....

I love the BACKUP process but am now desperate to get rif of the program...

Left messages with support but they are slow..... [deleted]

Occasional Advisor
MissEllie

My issue is a little different than the others posted here. WDFME.exe is more of a CPU hog for me. Currently it's using 52% of the CPU, memory is at 28k. All I did was start IE 9 and open a website containing a live webcam of  wildlife.  WDFME immediately grabs the CPU. I'm running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit, with 4 GB of memory. The external WD drive isn't  currently connected to my laptop. The process will continue to run like this until I stop the service. I can recreate this scenario time after time, it is a consistent bug!

WD staff, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Occasional Advisor
MissEllie

Could a staff member let us know if the new release or patch will be issued anytime soon?  If it's going to be very long, I'm going to uninstall this software. As I said in my first comment, I can stop the services - but, I shouldn't have to! 

I've been in software development and support for more years than I care to share and in my world, this bug would have been corrected ASAP... no matter how many long hours or days it took. I had one manager that always stated "There's 24 hours in every day, work until you get it fixed. Our clients are our #1 priority!". 

C'mon WD - step up to the plate!

Occasional Advisor
Karstiron

Have been using WD Smartware on an XP Pro SP3 system with the same issues as everyone else.

Noticed that WDMFE.exe and WDRulesEngine.exe combined will use up 90-100% of the CPU, grinding my machine to a halt. This can last for two hours or so, after which it seems to settle.

I'm using version Smartware version 1.5.16.

A software fix is long overdue WD.

Occasional Advisor
Karstiron

I should have added - it will settle after 2 hours or so if I leave 'Backup' on.

But even when I stop the backup in WD Smartware, it still runs. Right now, as I'm trying to do so some significant video editing, WDFME.exe is killing my machine. I have the Backup turned off in Smartware, but this process is still running and taking up to 96% of my CPU.

My PC is struggling to manage this and my video editing software and I can hear the fan screaming try to cool the CPU down. I worry that this thing is going to cause my core to meltdown as it keeps the CPU usage and therefore temperatures up for hours on end. Killing the process only seems to make it take hours to do the next backup.

It's a joke and I'm totally over this software.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD