WDFME.exe RAM hog

@ BBBBBrandon from WD Staff post from about a week ago in this thread:

I am a technical support manager with over 30 years experience in technology, sw and hw engineering and  technical support with 20 of these years in technical support management. This issue should be raised to the highest levels possible within the WD management structure by the technical support manager responsible for all the various hw products sold with WD Smartware.

Current Workaround: Note I am disabling the WDFME service in Services control panel and starting the service for backup. There are other workarounds mentioned in this post thread, and some that  have not been mentioned, but this is the one I selected.

All of the workarounds leave customers exposed to data loss (except for the ones that suggest buying or using other free automated backup sw) because automated backup is not occurring and has made backup essentially a manual process where users need to remember to perform backups. A prime reason / feature that current users and potential customers consider buying your various products of this type—automated backups.

This has made backups a manual process to a certain extent rather that automatic whenever I dock this particular laptop to its docking station in my home office where I keep my WD My Passport Essential SE drive for this particular laptop. A major feature of many of your drive products is AUTOMATION, and they must  keep pace with your competition who supply products that are able to provide the automation feature out-of-box without needing to use other backup SW—competition like other hw drive makers having very similar products.Also you must keep pace with alternative competition such as cloud computing  subscription backup services like Carbonite for example, which may be more expensive over time, but offer other advantages that certain users may want or need.

I am awaiting a solution. My patience will run out shortly. At this point,  I have stopped recommending your product to my friends and technical colleagues looking for a backup solution, or additional storage space given a small scale solution is required for their particular need/application. I may restart my recommendations if this problem is resolved very soon now.

I have added an RSS feed in my browser to this post and will be watching for a resolution to be posted by you  BBBBBrandon .

Now, replying to your, BBBBBrandon post from WD Staff, questions posted about one week ago, here are the answers to your questions:

1. No. XP OS. Bit Locker is a feature of only the Ultimate and Enterprise editions Vista and Windows 7 OSes and Windows Server 2008 and 2008R2 if you can believe wiki. Suggest editing your questions to indicate this fact so people don’t waste time running this down unnecessarily when trying to answer your question.

2. No.

3. Yes. Zip files

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ed_G>vssadmin list providers

vssadmin 1.0 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: ‘MS Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0’
Provider type: System
Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
Version: 1.0.0.7

1. No. NTFS.

I hope this information from me, and replies by other concerned users of your product, who are devoted enough to spend the time to collect this information for you, will help you and your sw development staff QUICKLY resolve this issue.