WDFME.exe RAM hog

I bought this to backup my music making work. It’s only a hobby, but thought it was a great solution. Only now, my music making software won’t even run properly because all the RAM is used up.

At first I thought my main hard drive was dying so purchased a new on, ready to reinstall EVERYTHING from scratch. I then thought to download some disk checking utilities and no errors could be found. I even bought a new heatsync graphics card so that the sound of the fan on my old one wouldn’t disguise the noise of a dying hard drive.

I was going to buy another of these drives for my folks since the bundled software would suit them down to the ground. This would have killed their very basic machine.

What worries me here is that I consider myself a moderately experienced computer user - I’ve used forums to get rid of some pretty nasty virus in the past, have built the system myself and tweaked it. I just figured the first backup put too much strain on my original hard drive. It’s only by chance that I decided to look into the resource monitor while looking for another service for my music software that I found this to be the source of the problem. People all over the place will be taking their machines into local computer repair places and getting ripped off to have a repair done which isn’t required…it’ll be “you need more RAM” or “your hard drive needs replacing” or “the motherboard needs replacing”.

I’m pretty sure I registered my product when I purchased it and it certainly did a software update after installing - so tell me…why haven’t WD done a very simple thing of emailing the people who have registered? and why not even an incremental software update which simply has a popup message to tell  people about the issue? Nevermind the rants about whether this is free or not - simple communication on this issue would help a lot of people.