clarkd11372

WDFME.exe Process Keeps Running

I have Passport SE Essential and Vista Business OS.  Often, the WDFME.exe process keeps running and takes over my machine.  The only way to stop it is to reboot.  Can't even safely eject it because of error.  I have to reboot nearly daily.  How do I stop this process from taking over my machine?  Any help would be appreciated.

Occasional Visitor
gmccuen

Re: WDFME.exe Process Keeps Running

I'm having the exact same proble with "My Book Essential" back up drive.

The WDFME.exe is eating up between 70-95% of my CPU - pushing all other progams to back.

This can't be right.  No point in having a "backup" if I can't generate any "new" work to be backed up.

Ideas?

clarkd11372

I've settled with just killing the process when it runs when I don't want it to.  I use the Windows backup to do backups now.  This process is just too taxing.  Hopefully, this will get fixed with software updates.

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Do you have Smartware installed? It can be a real resource hog. I did one backup and uninstalled it.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
tomes

As I wrote in a similar post: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/Disabling-WD-File-Management-Engine-WDFME-EXE/m-p/108858/...:

Hmm... I just found I have this issue as well. I don't use any of the features of this software, so have opted for a complete uninstall. 

I do use the encrypted drive / password functionality, but what I've done is just created a shortcut from my quicklaunch bar to the W:\unlock.exe program (where W:\ is the drive letter assigned to virtual CD drive that comes with this external drive. 

That way I plug it in, click on that shortcut, and unlock my drive, without needing all the other software crap.

Occasional Visitor
rlhari

Ihave the same problem!

Any solutions?!

Honored Contributor
Mabkay

There are three solutions… one is to refrain using Smartware. This is possible if you’re not planning to use Smartware as your sole backup solution. Smartware do not offer drivers. Windows native drivers do the job.

Second is to uninstall Smartware and use VCD to unlock your drive using unlock.exe located on the VCD (virtual drive), if you still prefer to use password drive lock feature.

Third option is to uninstall older version of Smartware and install latest version of Smartware. This version claims to be free from subjected problem but I doubt that. (BTW I am not using Smartware anymore)

Mabikay - SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Amigo1

Re: WDFME.exe Process Keeps Running Win7 Passport 1TB 2.5" External drive USB

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This drive has locked up my computer repeatedly. It doesn't respond to a control-alt-delete so I can't even identify which process is causing all the problems. I have to power off the entire computer because it won't even close down properly sometimes.

Even worst it now takes over 20 minutes boot. They system simply seems to stop in the middle of a boot and then wait (no hard drive activity). This is without the drive attached.

How do you go about uninstalling this lousy program? Or updating it to something that doesn't crash?

I can't find wdfme.exe in my process list at the moment.

I can't find Smartware in my list of installed programs. What name does it hide under?

I did update the firmware on the dirve to the latest version... but the system still locks up even when the drive is not inserted... so that's not to helpful.

Any help much appreciated.

:-)

clarkd11372

I updated.  No change.

Honored Contributor
Mabkay

Re: WDFME.exe Process Keeps Running Win7 Passport 1TB 2.5" External drive USB

Amigo1

You may have some other issue. This my not be directly related to Smartware. Try disconnecting all external drives and reboot. This could well be malfunctioning drive symptom. Check on task manager for higher CPU allocated applications if you still see the problem after disconnecting drives.

Mabikay - SLK

Note: Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD