WD Smartware does not list any contents for backup

Yesterday I installed my passport essential and started a backup. I then stopped it after a while and shut down the computer. Now when I start up WD smartware it does not list any contents in the backup so I cannot continue the backup and there is nothing to retreive either. No matter what I do it will not display anything that I can backup

It is possible that the software is corrupted. In this case try to uninstall the software and restart the machine.

Then use this link  http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/step2.asp?id=wdfMB_Elite&os=WIN (win)

Install and restart the machine. Then try to start the backup again.

Thread moved to WD Software & Accessories : WD Smartware.

Regards,

1 Like

when you say you stopped it, what do you mean.  did you disconnect the drive?  did you put the backup on pause?  does your drive show up in computer?  or is it only the backup that doesn’t show up?  did smartware create a wdstor folder on the drive?

I clicked “Stop backup” in the program. Then I left the computer for a while, then came back and hit Sleep button but the computer didn’t go to sleep but kinda froze and I couldn’t “wake” it up again so I unplugged the passport drive to see if it helped which it didn’t and then had to reboot the computer.

After that, the passport drive is visible in windows but I cannot backup anything to it using WD Smartware. I can of course add files manually to the drive. I cannot se any wdstore folder on it.

It’s not normal to have as many problems with Smartware. You might be lacking some of the necessary requirements for the software to run properly.

Which version of Smartware you have ? You can check the version on the home tab, bottom right corner.

What happens when you try to run the backup? Do you get an error message or can you describe what occurs ?

What OS do you have? Assuming your running Windows, do you have the latest updates and service packs?

Also please make sure that .NET Frameworks 3.5 is installed on your PC.

AmIEvil wrote:

I clicked “Stop backup” in the program. Then I left the computer for a while, then came back and hit Sleep button but the computer didn’t go to sleep but kinda froze and I couldn’t “wake” it up again so I unplugged the passport drive to see if it helped which it didn’t and then had to reboot the computer.

After that, the passport drive is visible in windows but I cannot backup anything to it using WD Smartware. I can of course add files manually to the drive. I cannot se any wdstore folder on it.

It’s possible that you added to the problem by pulling the cable.  you could have corrupted the backup folder doing so.  that may be why it doesn’t show up.  you could probably try to run error checking on the drive, and see if it can recover the folder. but if you corrupted the folder, you’re pretty much stuck with reformatting the drive and starting over.  I would get all the data off that you can, if you don’t have it already in another location, before going any futher.

[edit]

this doesn’t address why the system froze up when you paused the backup and tried to put it into sleep mode.  you may want to contact tech support with that question.  oh, and like Wizer said, make sure that you have at least .net framework 3.5, and your latest updates - including java and flash.  who knows, maybe it will help.  one more thing, I would make sure to download and install the latest version of smartware.  but make sure to follow the instructions for installing it.

I have the same problem and the solution worked…twice.  Now on the third event.  There has to be a better way to fix besides un-installing and re-installing when I want to run a backup.  Using Windows 7, new computer, barebone applications…not many apps for there to be a conflict.Â