WD Smartware does not detect files to Backup

Greetings everyone,

I am new here. I just bought a My Passport Essential SE 1TB and have installed the WD Smartware software on my Dell 6400 running on Windows XP SP3. After installing the WD Smartware, I tried to backup my files but I was unable to as no files shows up on the left column either in Drive C or D. There are many files on my Dell but not one file can be seen on the left column. I have Windows Frameworks 3.5 installed already.

I tried it on other computers and all work well.

It just does not work on my Dell. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WD Smartware, no help there. I have tried closing my Windows firewall and Microsoft Security Essential, no help there.

Appreaciate all the help.

Tony.

1 Like

do you have the latest update from the adobe flash player?

wht is the version of the sw?

I have Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX Ver 10.1.102.64 & Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin Ver 10.2.152.32. Is that the lastest ver?

I am equally new here and have exactly the same problem.

WD drive light comes on - WD drive is accessible - all WD Smartware properly installed, but it does not detect my computer files for backup.

Have the newest Flash plugin as well - what the **bleep** could that have to do with it?

Thanks for all possible help

Koos Jaspers

1 Like

KoosJaspers wrote:

Have the newest Flash plugin as well - what the **bleep** could that have to do with it?

Smartware’s User Interface is Flash based.

try upgrading the firmware of  your passport

I have the same problem. After installing the WD Smartware, it detects my hard drive label, but 0 files.

HW:

HP Elitebook 8440p

My Passport Essential SE 1TB

SW:

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 10.3.181.23

WD Smartware 1.4.5.2

Could anyone help?

enrique_pp wrote:

I have the same problem. After installing the WD Smartware, it detects my hard drive label, but 0 files.

HW:

HP Elitebook 8440p

My Passport Essential SE 1TB

SW:

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1

Adobe Flash Player ActiveX 10.3.181.23

WD Smartware 1.4.5.2

Could anyone help?

I saw you are running enterprise.  Are you on a domain?  If so, your profile may not be stored on your C drive and Smartware will report 0 files.

Thanks for your reply.

You are right. I am using an enterprise domain user, and  I have just confirm that SmartWare works with a local user

I want to backup my files in c:\users<domain_user>.

Is there any solution?

enrique_pp wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

You are right. I am using an enterprise domain user, and  I have just confirm that SmartWare works with a local user

I want to backup my files in c:\users<domain_user>.

Is there any solution?

The next release of the software will fix this issue for you.  I am guessing that the users My Documents is mapped somewhere else through DFS, seperate from his or her profile?

I have the same problerm (my thread opsted here:  http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/WD-Smartware-does-not-detect-files-to-Backup/td-p/152982)

Everything installed and accessible fine, but the MyBook Essential 3.0 cannot see any files to backup, despite there being lots!

Is there a fix for this yet???

Hi Toretto:

You are right. “Documents” is pointing to a network drive.

Regards.

enrique_pp wrote:

Hi Toretto:

You are right. “Documents” is pointing to a network drive.

Regards.

Currently this is a software limitation, however, this should not be an issue in the next update.