WD SmartWare v. 2.2.0 does not backup new Folders/files unless you rename it

hi,

I have WD SmartWare v2.2.0 installed in Windows 7. I’m having a problem now in this version, any new folder/files created the WD SmartWare will not backup unless you rename the folder/files. I also tried removing and re-installing the software but the problem doesn’t solve/. In my previous version i nerver encounter this kind of problem.

Any one encounter this problem?

weng31 I haven’t see this issues before.

Are you able to try the software on a different computer?

I also have v2.2.0 installed in Windows 7, and I am having the same issue. I created several folders and added files to other existing folders since the last time I attached my backup drive (My Passport 1.5TB). Now the only way I can get My Passport to update with said additions is rename the folders while the drive is attached. I really don’t want to rename all my existing folders, but that is the only way I have found for the drive to recognize that I’ve added files while the drive was unattached.

This is a new issue with this version of the software. It is particularly inconvenient because I often have my laptop away from my backup drive when creating folders or adding files.

Hello, My first post here to say that I have exactly the same problem : a folder added on my HDD will not appear in WD SmartWare backed-up structure…

Hi all,

I have the same problem as well. It only back up when I setup the whole thing the first time. When I plug in my external drive  lateron and expected there are some actions to sync my new data, the software just keep copying.

Please assist.

Yep me too - exact same problem.

Have written to Support - holding breath…

I thought a Western Digital experience would be better than this - disappointed right now.

Where are you support?  Version 2.2 and this is an issue?  I have the same issue, on Vista and Windows 7.  Solution please… Beta version available?

So I uninstalled v 2.2.0 and installed an old copy of 2.0.1… and I’m having the same problems. Any additions (new folders or files added) made while My Passport is not attached do not show up as retrievable files when I attach the drive and start WD Smartware to backup. However, any changes made while the drive is attached immediately show on the Retrieve tab.

We would like to thank you for your patience as we work to identify this issue.  We also thank you for your input which has been vital to our investigation. We believe that this issue exists for only a small percentage of our customers, and we are working hard to develop and test a new version of Smartware to resolve this issue.  Our estimated release for the new update is November 25th.

Hi -

I also have v2.2.0 installed on my  Windows 7 operating system computer, and I am having kind of the same and other  issues. I also have Norton installed and I do really like to use it to backup my folders and Files to My Passport Studio  via Norton. But is not possible.

First of all,  my computer and my Norton program doesn’t see the “My Passport Studio Hard Drive” in  “COMPUTER” from “MENU” and in “Where” from “Norton Manage Backup Sets”,  even after I installed the "Update of WD SmartWare Software ". 

So I uninstalled v 2.2.0 and installed again and still NOT working …

Now, after I installed and not possible to activate “My Passport Studio”

I did Follow all the instructions as prompted and still not been seen by my computer and my Norton program.

Not possible to save all my data on the My Passport Studio  device…

On “WD SmartWare - Backup tab”, I can’t activate the “My Passport Studio”. I have only the option to activate the “Dropbox”  where I need to “register” and “log in”. I do not want to create a new log on with DROPBOX!!!

TO MUCH PROBLEMS…

WHY DO THEY COMPLICATE ALL those simple actions? 

For the “My Passport Studio” option it’s saying : “No writable partition found”.

I called in  WD Technical Support and the guy assisted me said he can’t stay to assist me over the whole process of installation and I had to finish the installation by my self and after I saw it is not working properly I called back and the Technical Support Department closed…

Now I am stack in the middle of the process… I can NOT back up my important data and when I restarted the computer my computer got a troubleshot of the system not turning on at all…

Looks like I have to stay like that for a month?

Please, assist me!!!

Thank you

vi.vo.

Same issue! In the sense that WD does not backup any new folders. However, in my case it does not do it either by renaming the folder.

I had my Windows 8 updated to 8.1 on 6 November, however this only happens these last days.

Very unfortunate, I have vital documents I absolutely need to be sure of that they backup…

1 Like

I have this same issue about new files/folders not being backed up after the inital backup.  I haven’t tried renaming the files, because I can’t keep track of everything new.  I posted about this issue in the WD Community section on Portable Drives.  I did receive a phone call from tech support a couple days ago (even though I’ve been complaining about this for at least a month), but I haven’t been able to coordinate a time to call them back yet.  If I get a resolution, I’ll post back.

I am having SOME WHAT the same problem.  I posted recently that MOST my files were disappearing. http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-Software/WD-Smartware-2-2-0-looses-countless-files-after-update-And/td-p/626545

Now my new add files & folders are NOT showing up.

I called WD about my orginal problem, they were very nice & reponceive.  They asked me to remove WD Smartware and reinstall, I did, and that did not fix problem.

So I uninstalled again, this time I went into Windows hidden folder appdata and found any folder that remained after uninstall that was a WDsmartware  and I NOTICED several old folders of older versions still on my system, so I removed those also.  Then I retarted computer and reinstalled from their web site, WD Smartware program.  After a few hours POSSIBLY all my files were there. 

Then I created a couple of test folders and after leaving system on all night STILL NO NEW folder.

I have 2 different WIN 7 computers, 1 32-bit, the other 64 bit, both now have this problem.  The 32bit I have done nothing except update WD programs when offered updates.

A WD tech called me Friday night to follow up.  At that time I was still updating my second install, he said he would call me back Monday morning, I hope he has a fixable solution.

1 Like

I have the same problem. The first time, one month ago, it made a full backup. I told the software to immedeately backup any changes, but it does not.

I had a partition problem on my main drive, now I have lost a full month of documents.

So I can not rely on WD anymore. I better backup manually every day.

I have just installed version 2.2.1, but still do not see any new files and folders being backuped (they do not appear in the retrieve folder/files structure, even though the new folder/files are checked for backup abd a backup is 'successfull according to Smartware)???

It is now december 5th,

I’ve had this thing for about 3 weeks and I’m getting increasingly annoyed.

I plug it in and open WD Smartware (just upgraded to PRO)…

It shows me that everything is synced in the first instant, but when I look for specific entire new folders they havent and arent being backed up, synced or anything! 

This is a nightmare!

How am I to know if everything is copied and good to go when entire folders are missing on a random check? And when your program is telling me with huge blue ticks that I’m backed up!

PS I have Version 2.0.1 and when I check for software updates via WD Smartware it says “Unable to connect to remote server” This is just fabulous. 100 euros I’m quite sad about

I noticed that this topic is flagged as solved; however it is not. I have the same problem that everyone described and it seems that it is more common than a “small percentage”. We pay a substantial amout for these drives so that we have a peace of mind that our data is protected in a secure place. obviously there is no peace if you discover that your back us is not doing what its intended to do. Please solve ASAP as this problem is Major and can lead to legal issues if someone lost their data and the software was not doing what it was supposed to do.

Thanks,

Sam

I found a manual solution that is less cumbersome than renaming files and folders.

In WD SmartWare  you have 2 options: Category backup or Files back up.

If you select Files backup, tick the C: drive for example, it will auto-tick all the files and folders under it. This will ensure that everything is backed up today with the above solution. However when you add files/folders, the software will not tick them automatically. you need to go to the folder list, untick C:, then tick it again; it will select all foles/folders including new ones then backup should be for ALL. hope this works for you.

I have a few tickets open with WD on this topic but they don’t seem inclined to reply. I have 2 desktops both running Windows 7. One of them behaves exactly as it should with Smartware but the other exhibits the ‘failure to back up new files and folders’ problem. I have tried all suggestions made on the forum but to no avail. Has anyone had any useful input from WD on this subject?

This is just bull***t.    I bought my WD drive and Smartware software several weeks ago, and had the same problem that everyone else is having with newly created folders not being added to the sync profile on the remote drive.  I have raised two separate tickets to WD support, and all I got back was an acknowledgement that they had received my ticket. Utter pants WD!   I see that the various threads on here are growing with more users reporting the same issue.

I downloaded and have trialled Goodsync software, and it works perfectly - just like the WD SMartware software should. Sadly, my trial period is over, and I now have to spend $53 to get my three PCs licensed. I really should not have to spend this extra money given that I have already spent money on a Western Digital product, with license etc, however because it does not work as it is supposed to do, and because WD won’t get their fingers out of their collective backsides and respond with a solution, it looks like I will have to go and spend the money on another product.

Rest assured, this is the last time I ever spend anything on a Western Digitial product. Pile of rubbish!