WD SmartWare v. 2.2.0 does not backup new Folders/files unless you rename it

I have the same problem. The first time, one month ago, it made a full backup. I told the software to immedeately backup any changes, but it does not.

I had a partition problem on my main drive, now I have lost a full month of documents.

So I can not rely on WD anymore. I better backup manually every day.

I have just installed version 2.2.1, but still do not see any new files and folders being backuped (they do not appear in the retrieve folder/files structure, even though the new folder/files are checked for backup abd a backup is 'successfull according to Smartware)???

It is now december 5th,

I’ve had this thing for about 3 weeks and I’m getting increasingly annoyed.

I plug it in and open WD Smartware (just upgraded to PRO)…

It shows me that everything is synced in the first instant, but when I look for specific entire new folders they havent and arent being backed up, synced or anything! 

This is a nightmare!

How am I to know if everything is copied and good to go when entire folders are missing on a random check? And when your program is telling me with huge blue ticks that I’m backed up!

PS I have Version 2.0.1 and when I check for software updates via WD Smartware it says “Unable to connect to remote server” This is just fabulous. 100 euros I’m quite sad about

I noticed that this topic is flagged as solved; however it is not. I have the same problem that everyone described and it seems that it is more common than a “small percentage”. We pay a substantial amout for these drives so that we have a peace of mind that our data is protected in a secure place. obviously there is no peace if you discover that your back us is not doing what its intended to do. Please solve ASAP as this problem is Major and can lead to legal issues if someone lost their data and the software was not doing what it was supposed to do.

Thanks,

Sam

I found a manual solution that is less cumbersome than renaming files and folders.

In WD SmartWare  you have 2 options: Category backup or Files back up.

If you select Files backup, tick the C: drive for example, it will auto-tick all the files and folders under it. This will ensure that everything is backed up today with the above solution. However when you add files/folders, the software will not tick them automatically. you need to go to the folder list, untick C:, then tick it again; it will select all foles/folders including new ones then backup should be for ALL. hope this works for you.

I have a few tickets open with WD on this topic but they don’t seem inclined to reply. I have 2 desktops both running Windows 7. One of them behaves exactly as it should with Smartware but the other exhibits the ‘failure to back up new files and folders’ problem. I have tried all suggestions made on the forum but to no avail. Has anyone had any useful input from WD on this subject?

This is just bull***t.    I bought my WD drive and Smartware software several weeks ago, and had the same problem that everyone else is having with newly created folders not being added to the sync profile on the remote drive.  I have raised two separate tickets to WD support, and all I got back was an acknowledgement that they had received my ticket. Utter pants WD!   I see that the various threads on here are growing with more users reporting the same issue.

I downloaded and have trialled Goodsync software, and it works perfectly - just like the WD SMartware software should. Sadly, my trial period is over, and I now have to spend $53 to get my three PCs licensed. I really should not have to spend this extra money given that I have already spent money on a Western Digital product, with license etc, however because it does not work as it is supposed to do, and because WD won’t get their fingers out of their collective backsides and respond with a solution, it looks like I will have to go and spend the money on another product.

Rest assured, this is the last time I ever spend anything on a Western Digitial product. Pile of rubbish!

I must say I am, too, very disappointed.

I have decided to buy a software from another company - the waste of money is a pity - rather that waiting for a possible reaction from WD.

No need to say this is the last time I will buy a WD HDD. I can’t imagine how angry I would be if I lose data because of such a bad attitude of the software maker, which is apparently not taking our problems seriously.

1 Like

Given up - begrudgingly paid for Goodsync.  Downloaded it, Installed it, and it worked. simplez.   Shame the WD product couldn’t achieve that.

1 Like

sanji wrote:

I have decided to buy a software from another company - the waste of money is a pity - rather that waiting for a possible reaction from WD.

No need to say this is the last time I will buy a WD HDD. I can’t imagine how angry I would be if I lose data because of such a bad attitude of the software maker, which is apparently not taking our problems seriously.

I’m sorry for your frustration. However, we do take any issues users are experiencing seriously.  We escalate all product issues we encounter on the community, and we do seek to fix them.  So, please be aware that we are always paying attention, even if we may not always be communicating that.

I have had problems with SMARTWARE 2.2.0 not backing up new files or new versions of existing files. This Software never worked for me on Win7 or Win8 OS.

Backup software needs to have reliability or it should not be used. When version 2.2.1 released around Thanksgiving day, backup was greatly more reliable. But there is still one problem. If you move a file from one directory to another, the file attribute for dates do not change and the Software does not know that this is a new file in this directory and does not back it up.

I thought 2.2.1 was going to be the fix. I simply have lost trust in this software and will not use it. I would suggest for WD to scrap it. It is unfair to give users a product that implies it will backup your data when it does not do so. All over the forum their are complaints. I am appalled that attempts are made to define the root cause as a PC setup issue. Backup software should verify the backup (if configured)  and report errors if backup is not performed regardless of the cause of the error.

I have switch to an open source product ARECA license by GPL. This Software is unbelievable - faster than smartware, more restore capability, better manifests. I would suggest for WD to switch to ACERA and add thier GUI and features to make login simplified.

I believe the Hardware is good (MY BOOK LIVE). After SSH into the unit, it appears to be well setup. This implies that WD has a good embedded group producing Hardware and drivers under an OS that works well and reliable. Their team that developes Window applications has not proven themselves with this Smartware software, that has for years have issues backing up files from a PC.

I would stay far away from this application. Why take a chance with your data when there are proven options.

1 Like

Unfortunately I still have the problem with 2.2.1.  

It says ‘backup accomplished successfully’ but I am missing TONS (such as all of my videos from November through now)

Has there been a solution to this?  I got the MyBookLive for Christmas and am running smartware 2.2.1 and new folders and new files are NOT backed up.  I’ve seen a lot of conversation on this but no solution.  I am on windows 7 and doing a continuous backup.

Is there a solution to this, I have Smartware 2.2.1 on Windows 7 and am unable to backup new files/folders with continuous backkup turned on.  It doesnt work.

Bill_S wrote:

sanji wrote:

I’m sorry for your frustration. However, we do take any issues users are experiencing seriously.  We escalate all product issues we encounter on the community, and we do seek to fix them.  So, please be aware that we are always paying attention, even if we may not always be communicating that.

Is there any REAL solution to this problem yet? I have looked at many forums and it appears everyone is hitting the same brick wall…

I am to very frustrated/disappointed over this issue! I have sent a support request but have heard nothing back yet. I cannot believe the fix/update has not actually fixed the problem for everyone. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling etc etc. and have now spent many many hours trying to solve it and it’s driving me nuts! I wish I had done some more research before buying it!

If anyone has managed to succesfully get software from another company please please could you pm me any details etc. it would be greatfully received.

From all the posts, I cannot believe that WD have still not fixed this issue! - I have just updated from v2.2.0 to v2.2.1 having not used SmartWare for a while (it did not do so or prompt me itself!).

Is the problem related to SmartWare not running when Files/Folders are changed and then not being able to catch up? I do not usually have my Backup WD MyPassport Drive attached, so do not have SmartWare running (especially as it seems to be rather resource hungry!).

FixWD’s suggestion of using the “Files backup” seems to be working for now, but I do not want the whole C: drive backed up and having to untick and retick all required would be very tedious and error prone!

However it appears that unticking and re-ticking at the top level of a Folder tree will remember the ticks/not-ticks below. So the only issue is to ensure that new files/folders are selected…

Hopefully WD will finally fix this MAJOR issue in the next update? - When is that due to be released???

Thanks

I have found out something!

I was trying to backup a Skydrive folder, and this did not work well until I made the folder ‘available for offline use’.

It is just a guess, but maybe this happens to more users. So, even though you will see the folders and files inside your Skydrive folder, if they are not ‘available for offline use’ they might not be backed up by Smartware, whichever version you are using.

I’m now running 2.3.0 and it seems to be performing better. That is, I can now plug in my passport drive to my laptop after being away for a few days and it seems to be recognizing the folder changes and new files added without needed to rename or check/uncheck the synced folders.

I have not fully investigated all files, but so far my sync issues seem to be fixed with 2.3.0.

I spoke too soon… 2.3.0 worked okay for one of my drives, but when I attached an identical model drive it is experiencing the same issues as before (won’t update folders/files unless they are renamed while the drive is attached). The deselecting and reselecting trick is not working either for this drive. 

I’m very tired of trying to figure out how to trick the drive into backing up my files.  

mtn_rider wrote:

I’m very tired of trying to figure out how to trick the drive into backing up my files.  

You are so right. It should work as announced, and when not doing what is expected, it should say/list/log what is wrong.

I’m also tired of trying to figure out why Smartware is not doing what it is supposed to do…