WD SmartWare Pro now asking me to activate, AGAIN!

I am using one of the three activation codes to turn my standard version of SmartWare to SmartWare Pro. It has been working fine as the PRO version since I bought the MyCloud MAS.

Today, for some reason I have a button in the top right hand side asking me to upgrade to the Pro version. I can no longer access my DropBox account either so the software has reverted back to the basic version.

When I try and enter my activation code and my email address (the same address that I used in the first place to register), the software freezes and after 2-3 minutes I get a message back saying ‘There was a problem trying to activate with the code’ or something like that.

I have checked on the WD site via the registration email they sent when I inittially set up SmartWare and I have only used 1 of the 3 activations available so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Trouble is that if I uninstall and then reinstall SmartWare, I will have to redo all my backups. It took me days last time!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? And what can I do about it without having to redo all my backups.

1 Like

I’m getting the same. Software now states my 30 days has expired. I’ve re-instated my activation code and email address and after 2 minutes I get " There was an error trying to validate your activation code. Please try again later" What’s happening? 

I have the same problem, and after an hour or so on the phone I am no nearer a solution.I have put in a support ticket.

I notice that the version is 2.3.0 and there is a note on the WD site about redoin the backup plan. http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/nas.asp  . If thats the case I shall be most displeased cos mine is complicated  too. :frowning:

More worrying is that I cant get to my backups.

I am glad it’s not just me then. Good God. You would think WD would learn after the fiasco for the last few weeks about remote connections.

What are they playing at now?

FWIW I have raised a ticket with WD.

It really is beyond a joke.

JemTheWire wrote:

I am using one of the three activation codes to turn my standard version of SmartWare to SmartWare Pro. It has been working fine as the PRO version since I bought the MyCloud MAS.

Today, for some reason I have a button in the top right hand side asking me to upgrade to the Pro version. I can no longer access my DropBox account either so the software has reverted back to the basic version.

When I try and enter my activation code and my email address (the same address that I used in the first place to register), the software freezes and after 2-3 minutes I get a message back saying ‘There was a problem trying to activate with the code’ or something like that.

I have checked on the WD site via the registration email they sent when I inittially set up SmartWare and I have only used 1 of the 3 activations available so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Trouble is that if I uninstall and then reinstall SmartWare, I will have to redo all my backups. It took me days last time!

Has anyone else had this happen to them? And what can I do about it without having to redo all my backups.

Hi guys, this is currently being investigated. 

1 Like

It appears to be sorted. I just loaded up SmartWare and clicked the ‘Upgrade’ button, enteren my name and email address and the program updated OK.

I hope it lasts!

Thanks.

Mine asked for the same thing the other day but all I had to do was enter my email address and code. Once they were entered and activated my pro is back.

The above was on my desktop, I am checking my laptop now.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Lets not be too overjoyed. Last night at 11:00pm GMT Smartware suddenly decided that it would accept my code and email address.

It became Smartware Pro again.!!!

This morning 08:00am GMT its asking for my details AGAIN, having forgotten that it was OK last night. Come on guys at WD. Whatever you hit last night with a hammer did the trick. Please do it again.

Yep. I spoke too soon. Came home from work today, loaded SmartWare and BINGO, Activation required!

I love WD hardware, but their software/cloud really **bleep**.

I am running WD Smartware PRO 2.3.0 on two Win 7 (32 bit) PC’s.  One PC is AOK…but 2nd PC lost activation today after I replaced  the old Seagate Free Agent drive with a new Seagate Backup Plus.  I attempted reactivation by entering my activation code/email address.  Many attempts …but I either received the message "error trying to Validate - Try again later: or activation process froze.  I called support and I was told activation is with the software and not the drive…and replacing the drive should not caused a problem.  I was told I would have to talk to a more advanced person.  I was transferred - but after a long wait…was told everyone was on calls.  I requested someone call me.  Now over two hours and waiting.  During this time I have tried many things - including replacing the new drive with the old.   

UPDATED 4//10/2014 at 4:45pm CDT…MAGIC.  I opened WD Smartware PRO…and it was activated.  No action by me.  When I lost Activation…File History was changed and configuration settings for backup options (Folders) and Frequency had been changed.  That is still true after the magical activation.  No call from WD.  ??  But happy it was reactivated.

Update 4/11/14 - 4:30PM CDT - Activation Lost Again - On PC with new Seagate Backup Plus.  Attempts to activate fail with previously reported symptoms.  2nd PC running PRO is still OK for now (has not been rebooted this week).…BUT…  I am losing confidence in WD Smartware Pro because of the on-going activation issues. 

After talking with WD support yesterday, I was given a a lenthy reference number (Case Number ?). and requested a callback by an “advanced” person.  I made sure they had my email and tel number.  I have had no other contact with WD…but saw a post futher down in this thread that someone posted that WD is taking the problem seriously.

My request to WD…please provide some feedback other than we are aware of the problem etc.  Is the activation process at  PC/WD Smartware Pro program level?  How is activation being lost and then later magically activated without entering a code (other than the failed attempts) …and then lost again the following day.  Only change was a reboot of the system.   Should activation  be attempted repeatly or wait until notification of a “fix”?

Update: 

At approx. 5:15pm CDT I attempted Activation by entering code/email. 

Received a message that said:  Activation_Result_MSG_1103

Clicked OK…And now Activated.  ???

Its working again.

Tried to activate it at 17:00 GMT. Failed

Tried again at 22:00 GMT it worked!!!

Now I have a real problem. If I let my backups catch up and then it fails again when i switch off my machine I just create more work for myself unpicking the backups manually.

OR

Do I switch off my machine and sleep and hope it still works in the morning…

Decisions, decisions. I know I’ll buy a proper backup solution that actually works and perhaps get a refund on this one.

Come on WD. This looks like it is a server side issue. Get it sorted.

Up for me too. But then again, it was up this time last night too but next day (today) it went down again!

I have a TT open and have send some logfiles. Hopefully that will help fine a pemenant fix.

It is very frustrating though.

My desktop is asking for it again too. I am running Windows 7 SP1 on my Gateway DX4860 desktop. See image below.

After entering my information my pro is back again on my desktop. See image below

I am going to leave my laptop on for a while and see what happens with it.

SW Capture.PNG

OK …wait for it…!!..

Opened  ‘Smartware’ this morning and…

Its lost the activation again!!!

I knew that I shouldn’t have logged out last night :confounded:

So. Logfiles sent yesterday morning after a long talk to a very nice guy in Holland. He very carefully said nothing about why it might happening. He had to contact the ‘Advanced Team’ (the A-Team, wow!).

I shall spent an hour today looking for another backup solution as ‘Smartware’ is obviously not smart enough to remember that its activated, so trusting it with backups seems a bit silly.

WD helllloooooo!! You have customers out here with your kit and software that are being compromised by something as simple as software verification. I understand that you want to prevent piracy, but even pirates won’t steal stuff that does not work.

Sorry, we weren’t ignoring you. We are taking this issue seriously, and we will get it fixed.  As soon as we have more information, we will notify you.

For WD

Activation Lost Again today on Win 7 PC (32 Bit)   Only change was a reboot of the PC.  Attempts to activate fail with previously reported symptoms.  A 2nd PC running Win 7 (32 bit) and WD Smartware PRO has been unaffected …BUT…

I am losing confidence in WD Smartware Pro because of the on-going activation issues and such little feedback.

Request to WD.…Please provide some feedback other than we are aware of the problem etc.  Should activation be attempted repeatly or wait until notification of a “fix”?  Is there anything known that can cause a temporary fix?  Is it Win 7 32 bit or 64 bit only …or all Windows OS?  Do you need any info from WD customers on this thread?   Feedback please.

For WD

Attempted Activation by entering code/email. 

FWIW, I’m getting this too.  WD, please let us know what we should do while you’re addressing the problem.

Thanks.

For WD

On 4/11/14 - 5:15pm - Attempted Activation by entering code/email. 

Performed a Backup (manually) - and powered of PC

On 4/12/14 - 10:00am CDT - Powered on PC and opened WD Smartware - ACTIVATION LOST AGAIN !!!
Repeated attempts to activate by entering code/email - but previously reported error occcured. (Error trying to valididate your activation code)

Update: 04/12/14- 11:00am CDT:   Called WD Tech Support.  Talked to a very nice rep who acknowledged the on-going problem with loss of Activation and stated enigineers were working on it.  I was talked through the process of sending a WD Smartware log to WD for review.  Looking forward to this problem being resolved.  

Update: 04/12/14 - 12:40pm CDT: Attempted Activation by entering code/email.  Activation was accepted.

Working for me now too, but I have been here before only to find that the next day, it is requesting activation again.

Lets hope that it is fixed now.