WD SmartWare Bug with Skydrive

I have a strange issue.  My setup is as follows:

• MyCloud hard drive on local network

• OneDrive (Microsoft Skydrive) folder on PC and laptop

• Smartware backup set to run incrementally from PC to MyCloud drive (including backing up the OneDrive folder).

SmartWare isn’t picking up file changes when they are made on the laptop.  Obviously OneDrive syncs changes within the OneDrive folder so I have a situation where files ARE being changed on the PC (and the last modified date changed), but they don’t get picked up when the original change was made by the laptop.  Seems to definitely be a serious bug in SmartWare as when I look at the backup settings it shows the relevant files and folders as checked to be backed up (and shows the correct date), and then in the retrieve settings it only lists older versions of those files.

It then works individually for a file if I make a change to that file on the PC.  Obviously I can’t exclusively use one device to modify files though, it makes the SmartDrive software effectvely useless as a backup unfortunately.  Would like to stick with it if it can be fixed.

Hello Dave, If I understand correctly, you only have Smartware installed on your PC only, but the files that are being synced from the Laptop the PC using OneDrive are not being detected by Smartware? If that is the case, can you share what version of Windows you are using on both computer? Also please verify if you are using the latest Smartware version (2.4.0).

http://www.wd.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/nas.asp

Hi Ichigo,

Thanks for the reply, and yes you’ve got the situation perfectly.  I only use SmartWare on the PC but it’s not picking up changes to the SkyDrive folder when they’re changed on the PC through the SkyDrive sync process (however that process works).

On both PC and laptop I have the latest Windows 8.1, and SmartWare is the latest version (2.4.0)

Thanks,

Dave

DaveR84 wrote:

Hi Ichigo,

Thanks for the reply, and yes you’ve got the situation perfectly.  I only use SmartWare on the PC but it’s not picking up changes to the SkyDrive folder when they’re changed on the PC through the SkyDrive sync process (however that process works).

On both PC and laptop I have the latest Windows 8.1, and SmartWare is the latest version (2.4.0)

Thanks,

Dave

Hello  DaveR84,

This is currently under investigation.