Unable to install SmartWare on Mountain Lion 10.8.5

I’ve just formatted MyBook Essential (3.0) for Mac OSX and downloaded the SmartWare app from KB5419.  I then extracted the .dmg file and copied its content onto MyBook.  I double clicked the SmartWare app and it begins the installation process, but never completes.  I have tried it several times and it just hangs up during the install process.  I thought I was being impatient and let it run for 6 hours to give it some time.  I always eventually just have to do a Force Quit on the install application.  I’ve searched the web for solutions, looking to see if there is a newer version of the SmartWare application.

I want to use the 2TB drive for my Time Machine backups.  I’m assuming I don’t really need the SmartWare software, but thought it would be nice to have it.  Is there anyone in the community that could possible provide any alternative solutions to my dilemma?  

I went into this thinking this would be easy and painless (first mistake) and now I see that I’m losing this battle.  Please HELP!!!

Thanks in Advance,

CatAllie

(Recuperating from a wild Mardi Gras season in the Big Easy)

Hi CatAllie, see below for the correct Smartware download link. If you plan on using Time Machine there is no need to have Smartware installed. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/