Unable to disable virtual CD "WD Unlocker" on 1To HD My Passsport

HI

I’ve just bought an 1 To My Passport Essentials hard drive (WDBABM0010BBK) and although following all steps to disable the virtual CD called “WD Unlocker” with this program : WD SmartWare Virtual CD Manager for Windows Web Release-v1.0.8.3.exe, I get this message : “to continue, connect a WD SmartWare drive” although my drive is connected, visible and accessible in windows explorer. firmware version 2.011.

Any ideas, thanks

John.

So the program written to hide a “WD Smartware” VCD doesn’t work to hide a “WD Unlocker” VCD once WD removed Smartware from the VCD?

Whoda thunk it.  It’s almost as if it’s a different VCD than what the program was written to deal with.

But since the Unlocker VCD only activates if you password-protect the drive, why would you want to disable the unlocking abilities?  Then the drive would presumably be unusable.

Hi

Understood I need a different program to disable this VCD. Correct ?

Do you know what is this “WD Unlocker” VCD and for what purpose it is done ?

My drive is new and I have no data on it, and I never activated password.

I just want to disable it and use my drive as a simple USB drive without any WD program.

John.

Yes it is a different file. I think this is what you need. http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/utilitiesstep1.asp?id=wdfMP_Essential&os=win

Joe

Hi

That’s what I’ve tried and described in the first post…

For now I’ve disabled the VCD in the device manager and tomorrow I’ll try to format the drive in XFS format for linux.

John.

John-e707 wrote:

Do you know what is this “WD Unlocker” VCD and for what purpose it is done ?

The WD drives with this logo on the box support hardware encryption of the data.  You can password-protect the drive so that others can’t access it.

The bits and pieces necessary to do the locking/unlocking are on the Unlocker VCD.  They have to be with the drive so that the drive can remain portable.  Otherwise, if you lock the drive on one computer, you won’t be able to use it at a friend’s house or at work.

But if all you wanted was a simple USB drive without the hardware encryption utilities, why did you buy a Passport and not one of the plain USB drives that don’t come with the VCD or any other applications?  Then you wouldn’t have to scramble around trying to hide the VCD.

Thanks for your reply and help.

I wasn’t aware of these features on the WD external drives. I’ve bought this brand for the quality of their drives. My solution to disable the VCD in the device manager is convenient and I have no more popup window as soon as I plug the drive.

John.

Most of us bought for the same reason you did, that and limited choice locally That’s what I did for a fix before finding this forum. I have not upgraded the firmware either. If it ain’t broke don’t fixit!

Joe

Using SmartWare to remove the password from the drive will also remove the “WD Unlocker” VCD on the next time you reboot your computer or unplug/replug the drive.

If your drive has the WD Unlocker and not the WD Smartware VCD, then just dont lock your drive and you should never see the WD Unlocker. It only pops up when you password protect your unit as a way to unlock it.