Unable to Upgrade to SmartWare Pro

When I start SmartWare and attempt to upgrade to Pro, I fill out the activation information, click activate, and then receive an error that says, “Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”   Running Windows 7 64-bit.  Any ideas?

Soldat,

This is quite unusual. I would recommend uninstalling WD SmartWare from your system first, then proceeding to clean the registry to eliminate any previous trace of installation before proceeding again. Also, please make sure to have installed all Microsoft Windows updates into your system including the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0.

It’s an almost clean reinstall of Windows 7 64-bit.  I checked the .NET Framework, and Framework 4 Client Profile and Extended are installed (v.4.0.30319).  What are the registry entries that I need to remove or check between uninstall and reinstall?

I have exactly the same problem with same OS. Reinstallation made no difference. Raised a case twice but help desk just close off the cases without offering any real help !!

I am having the exact same issue.

JStaff wrote:

Soldat,

This is quite unusual. I would recommend uninstalling WD SmartWare from your system first, then proceeding to clean the registry to eliminate any previous trace of installation before proceeding again. Also, please make sure to have installed all Microsoft Windows updates into your system including the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0.

There are at least 5 people here with this problem, in defferent threads, so actually it isn’t that unusual. Reporting it as a case does no good either, as they just close the cases not having done anything!!

Exact same problem with same error message.  I bought a MyCloud on 10/8, installed Smartware (which worked fine), and tried to upgrade to Pro (which is free with MyCloud purchase).  After that failed, I contacted customer support, and they gave the usual response of instructing me to uninstall and reinstall everything (including MS .NET Framework).  Nothing worked, at which time WD sent me to the next higher support level.  I’m not sure whether to bother trying that or not.  Of course, at no time has anyone from WD informed me that others are having the same problem.  Nice going, Western Digital.

This problem was resolved by tech support this evening.  All you have to do is click on the “my cloud” icon to select it (you’ll notice that it’s grayed out), then click activate.

1 Like

Soldat–I’m glad the upgrade now works for you.  But your suggested fix did not solve the problem for me.  I get the same error message as before and cannot activate the Pro upgrade.

Same here … doesn’t solve the problem for me. I still get the same error message as well.

Just got it solved with product support (telephone) — the solution (at least for me) WAS exactly as Soldat reported, but when I tried to follow Soldat’s description I was obviously mistaken, specifically the thing that worked for me was to click on the WD My Clould icon IN THE ACTIVATION window, just after I supplied my name (first/last), and email … but before I clicked the Activate button. [Earlier I had mistakenly thought clicking on the my cloud icon meant before the activation window was launched).

Anyway the support person that helped me indicated that she was going to communicate with this forum’s moderator(?) to maybe make this solution a bit clearer (since I got this to work I can’t take any screen shots of what I did because now I’m already activated to the pro version).

Hope this helps.