Software Update - WD SmartWare Windows Version 1.5.1.6 (8/16/11)

Rebooting multiple times did not stop this hyper-consumption of resources in my case, as I was finding that it took a full 10 minutes at least before the software would allow me to start my email client or browser, and after that such simple functionalities as polling for email (using nPOPuk, a very lightweight text-only email client) were taking far too long, often several minutes instead of half a second.

Admittedly I have not tried the latest version of the software. That’s because of my horrible, time-wasting experience in trying to get rid of the version installed a few months ago. It took me several hours to manually dig down into hundreds of sub-folders in the incomplete backup set on the drive, taking ownership of each layer independently as such rights could not be acquired overall, before I was able to delete this backup set which did not offer me any confidence in its veracity. This was after having uninstalled the software, and finding that two services were still running anyway, requiring some acrobatics to get those uninstalled. I will not be re-installing this software in any version as I’ve opted to manually copy folders to external media on my own schedule. Such copying must be remembered regularly to work, but it works, and while copying files to external drives I am free to do any other operations without my netbook being slowed almost to a standstill.