Software Update - WD SmartWare Windows Version 1.5.1.6 (8/16/11)

Ok, I guess this is more of the same, but I figure the more people complain about this piece of junk software the better the chance they’ll actually fix it.

After installing smartware several months ago, my laptop has slowed to a crawl. I just checked, around half an hour after rebooting my machine and after the backup process finished, and WDFME.EXE deems it necessary to still use 71% of my CPU and over 300+ MB or Ram. Now I know that’s not nearly as bad as some other posters here but still. I run a database engine on this laptop and it doesn’t nearly consume as much as this program! It’s insane!

On top of that I strongly suspect that the blue screen of death that both my wife and I have been getting on our respective laptops is related to Smartware. My wife’s ICT department actually confirmed this and disabled the services to prevent it from happening (with some success…).

In other words, what [Deleted]  WD thinking! So many people complain, and nothing changes! I haven’t seen a software update in more than a month! I don’t want to remove the smartware as the auto backup was a big part of the decision to buy this drive, but if something doesn’t change soon I’ll vote with my feet. WD will lose another loyal, good customer to Seagate.