Software Update - WD SmartWare Windows Version 1.5.1.6 (8/16/11)

Soooo glad (and sorry) to hear I’m not alone in this problem.  I finally uninstalled SmartWare and will wait for a better version.  The problem is 2 months old, correlating nicely with the last update.  Not only was the backup shadow using 98% of my functional capacity, it wouldn’t let the drive shut off after a backup.  That’s just annoying.  I can’t leave the unit plugged into the USB as it screws with my boot sequence and nothing I’ve done has corrected that, so I have to unplug the drive between backups.  How irritating to have to wait an hour and still use a forced shutdown!  I’m not as tech-savvy as most here, but I know enough to understand when a program is creating more problems than it’s solving.

Meanwhile, the Passport works nicely as a backup hard drive and it’s already got two full copies of my drive on it, so I’ll use it to back up specific folders while I wait for you guys to fix the problem.   At least I can access the files on the Passport, which puts it ahead of my last two backup externals that did something bizarre to the files making them inaccessible for reloading after a crash.  Der…really?  Isn’t that the point?