Community Manager
Bill_S

Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.4 for Windows (10/10/12)

WD is pleased to announce the release of its WD Smartware update for Windows.

You may post your experiences in this thread.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Occasional Visitor
tarasyk

Re: Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.4 for Windows (10/10/12)

What was fixed in this release?

Community Manager
Bill_S

According to the release notes: Fixed a bug where selecting a My Book Live drive on the Home tab would prompt the user for a password even though a password has not been set on the drive.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Frequent Advisor
Buck73

I uninstalled WD SmartWare 1.6.2.5, cleaned the registry, and did a fresh install of 1.6.4. When I launched the new version of SmartWare for the first time, my MyBookLive was set to the SmartWare share, which I have set to Private with users specified, but no password required. The drive showed a lock and when I clicked the drive icon, it asked for a username and password even though no password is set. In order to access the drive I had to enter one of the usernames and no password and then it allowed access. Shares that were set to public didn’t ask for a username and password. Subsequent SmartWare launches didn’t show a lock or ask for me to logon.

In my opinion there is still a major issue with this version of SmartWare! I’m using Windows 7 (x64) and I haven’t performed a complete checkout of this new version of SmartWare, but it is extremely disappointing that despite it being noted in the WD Community by others that SmartWare versions 1.6.X have an issue with deactivating a computer’s sleep feature, this version has the same issue. Even more troubling is with respect to version 1.6.2.5 I also contacted Western Digital about the issue and was told they couldn’t duplicate the problem; I find that extremely hard to believe. It should be noted that I keep Backup stopped in Smartware and only start it when I actually want to perform a backup. In my case, if I want the computer’s sleep mode to work, I still have to launch Task Manager and stop the “WD Backup” service.

Karel1

When I updated from 1.6.2 to 1.6.4 the Smartware does work anymore. So dé-install it then it works again. I did see MYBOOKLIVE in explorer. What is wrong?

Karel 

Regular Visitor
Lubomyr

I  just updated my WD SmartWare to version 1.6.4 and now when I launch SmartWare, on the Home page, My Book Live is locked and when I click on the image to unlock the drive, I receive a message stating: Authentication Failed  -  Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0X80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)). The issue is on my laptop, running Windows Vista. I have no issues on my 2 desktops, one running Windows 7 and the other one running Windows XP.

I also have the latest firmware installed for MyBookLive  -  version 02.32.05-046. Everything worked fine before I updated the WD SmartWare software. Help!

Advisor
WarrenLong

I updated yesterday in the hope that it would also fix the 50 Mb limit issue.  It didn't...  :-(

I assume that everyone else is still seeing this?  WD Smartware doesn't back up any file bigger than 50Mb, flagging it as "pending" and leaving it that way forever.  This makes the product useless for me.

I welcome "me too" comments, or even "wrong, works for me".  :-)

Griswold

Where do you see these warnings?

I have many files greater than 50 Mb and don't see anything shown as pending in Smartware.

Advisor
WarrenLong

Thanks.  Could be good news.  I will retry.  I still had partial backups from the earlier version, but I thought I saw new ones appearing in the "Files Not Backed Up" area...  And they all get flagged as "File pending backup"

Backup started, will report later.  :-)

Advisor
WarrenLong

Nope, still no go.  Tried to backup a directory of Fawlty Towers, (240 Meg per episode), let it go all night, all were flagged as not backed up and pending...  :-(

Oh well, I guess I will be waiting for a new version.  Thanks for the comment.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD