Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.6.0 for Windows (5/9/12)

I am having the exact same problem as not so lucky lucky_phil.  After upgrading from 1.5.4.5, which was working fine, the switch to 1.6.0 has not been pleasent.  It has taken over my CPU and like others, the Outlook.pst file is not consistenly getting backed up.

I can repeatedly replicate the problem whereby Windows Task Manager’s Resource Monitor indicates that WDBackupEngine.exe is utiilizing CPU Usage of 25% and then jumps to 50% and remains there.  Here are my benchmarks…

CPU Usage

After a fresh re-install                                                                                                                **     0%**

Execute WD Smartware

- During Backup                                                                                                          ** 0% - 4%**

- After Backup                                                                                                             0%** **

Open Outlook                                                                                                      Remains at:       0%

Close Outlook                                                                                     Spikes to and stays at:    25%

STOP Backup                                                                                                       Remains at:    25%
START Backup                                                                                  Spikes to and stays at:    50%

Reboot                                                                                                                     Begins at:    25%

Open Outlook                                                                                                      Remains at:    25%
Close Outlook                                                                                   Spikes to and stays at:    50%

Requires reboot to bring it back down to…                                                                               25%

But the next time you open and close Outlook it jumps back up to and remains at:           50%       

I wouldn’t wish ill will on anyone but at least I (and the technical support staff) know I am not alone. 

Hopefully this matter will be addressed in the near term but until then I am backing up all my personal files to a USB stick.