Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.5.4.5 for Windows (3/20/12)

Performed to update and like other can no longer aproach my data on the backup.

The tabs back up and recover remain gray and i can only adjust the pc settings and not the drive settings.

thanks for this update

As rodavis44 says, try clicking on the remote drive icon, ie on the Home Tab give a single left click on the icon for ‘My Passport Essential’, or what ever your WD drive is called, and that should bring up the backup and retrieve tabs.  You have to do this every time you open Smartware from Quick View.  Definitely not an improvement to the previous version.

I was hoping that the new update to SmartWare would provide some relief from the CPU resource hogging.

Alas, it is still a disaster.

The software takes an eternity to update the catalogues and the metadata.

I gave it over 3 hours to settle down after performing a category backup, but no luck, it just contined to use up to 80% of CPU.

I have had to turn off the service to regain normal operation of my PC

(Windows 7 64 bit 4 GB ram)

Product:               My Passport Essential

Model:                  WDBACY5000AWT

Software:             WD Smartware Version 1.5.1.6

Over the weekend 24-25 Mar 12, I downloaded Windows release 1.5.4.5 from the WD website and followed the instructions for its installation.

Restarted my PC and ran the WD Smartware.

On the Help tab, the Product Name: WD Smartware and Version 1.5.1.6 was displayed.

If the download and installation of this latest release was completed OK, then should not the version displayed on the Help tab read 1.5.4.5?

Does this mean that this latest release has not been correctly installed?

I installed wersion 1.5.4.5 on a Windwows 7 64bit PC  4GB of ram.  
Restarted my PC and let SmartWare catch up overnight (Categorizing and Backups).

At first it looked like it is all beter (for a day).

Woke my PC up today (Same problem as before - Categorizing forevever - even though NO files have changed).

Same ram hog - peg cpu at 100% making the PC unusable.

New version of the software - same problems - what if anyting was fixed???

Installed the new version, which went smoothly, but it hasn’t corrected my issues with this software.  As soon as I  open IE and browse to a site with streaming video,  WDFME grabs my CPU, using at  least 50% of it (see below). Memory is not an issue for me but CPU usage is killing me. This occurs whether I have the drive connected or not. Any other suggestions before I permanently uninstall this software?

Vista Home Premium SP 2 - 64 Bit - 4GB RAM

1 Like

Really unhappy about update. The drive works, but after the reboot, accessing WDSmartware, the backup tab is ghosted out which pretty much makes the drive NOT fit for purpose.

ipw133 wrote:

Really unhappy about update. The drive works, but after the reboot, accessing WDSmartware, the backup tab is ghosted out which pretty much makes the drive NOT fit for purpose.

On the Home tab, click on your remote drive icon. That will activate the Backup and Retrieve tabs.

1 Like

I can’t understand why this thread is not getting any attention from the people at WD. They must be monitoring, right?

I have been waiting patiently a long time for this software upgrade because in principle Smartware is just what I want: it is simple, effective and free. Unfortunately it is also driving me crazy because it slows everything else down unacceptably.

I think that if WD can’t get it right they should withdraw it because releasing poor software is bad for the company’s reputation. The best of all worlds would be to do a deal with a good piece of backup software and bundle that with their drives. Such a deal would probably not cost more than the money they spend on developing Smartware.

One of the main reasons I purchased the WD My Passport was for the integrated automatic backup solution.  Boy, was I snookered.

I upgraded last night to the latest version of SmartWare 1.5.4.5.  It took a while to install, but happened without complications.  The software then took over 12 hours to categorize and backup 3.5 Gbytes of data.  Not exactly the performance I was looking for.  I then looked up information on this forum for version 1.5.1.6 and determined that the problem is systemic and not likely to be fixed anytime soon.

The solution I have found that works perfect for me is Synchronicity available from sourceforge at  sourceforge.net/projects/synchronicity.  It allows me to backup entire directories, then subsequent backups will only copy the files that changed.  The software is free and very straightforward to use.  I love the My Passport drive, and this allows me to use it effectively.

I love my WD drive but, really am completely dissatisfied with the Smartware software. I’ve been using the software for a couple of years now and it has been a major resource hog from the beginning.  The code is clearly not well written and WD appears completely insensitive this issue/problem/bug since they have had multiple opportunities to tune the code to make it much more CPU friendly.  It’s inexcusable for such a highly regarded company that makes great hardware to completely ignore the continuous complaints from its users regarding its poor software application.

The web is full of negative comments about the Smartware application but, sadly, WD is not listening.

I’ve decided to abandon the application and find another one that is much more CPU friendly.

This update has continuously failed for me. I have been trying to backup my hard drive for the last few days but whenever I open the software, it tells me there’s a software update. I follow all the steps to install the update and reboot my computer to finish the update. Upon rebooting, the software tells me it’s still the same version as it was to begin with. In other words, I spent all that time trying to update and it never installed. I’ve contacted customer support but they’re basically useless. I can honestly say that once I run out of space on my 2 terabyte drive, I will NEVER buy a Western Digital again. I prefer to buy products that work and work when they say they will.

you’re not alone. I’m having the same exact issue. It tells me it installed correctly and everything. After I reboot my computer (Windows 7 64 bit 4 gigs ram) and open the software, it still shows the same software version I had to begin with.

Installed 1.5.4.5 for Windows. Restart my system. Before my system loads my desktop, a black screen appears along with the Command window. The Command window remains completely blank. After around 15-20 seconds, my desktop loads and all of my Startup components show up.

I then open SmartWare, which recognizes 0 files to be available for backup (although SmartWare recognizes C: and the WD external drive). My SmartWare version number is also the same as it was out-of-box: 1.4.x.x.

I have done this several times and each time leads back to the same two issues: 1) the installation of 1.5.4.5 never seems to occur and 2) no files are recognized for backup. Both these issues render the software 100% useless. Any help?

I have the same issue, I’ve been speaking to tech support for 3 days now and they still don’t understand they have a problem with their update on their end. They still firmly believe the issue is on my end with my hard drive despite everyone else complaining on here about it. I actually uninstalled the old software as well as the update, rebooted the hard drive and re-installed whatever the latest firmware was. I haven’t turned the hard drive back on to see if it actually worked yet or not.

I have never in my life seen a company as inept and incompetent as the software people in WD.

As predicted, it did not work.

They have no clue what’s going on within their company. They honestly do not read the support forums they provide to get just that. They keep trying to basically blame me for their error and refuse to accept that they have a MAJOR issue with their software and it needs to be addressed immediately. I’m about to threaten them to throw this in the garbage and buy a seagate or something else from one of their closest competitors. This is absolutely ridiculous.

I suppose I should clarify a bit. When I first opened the SmartWare program as it comes out-of-box, it recognized my various file types for backup and made suggestions of what I should back up. Then the “update” window popped up and I went through the described updating process (nothing out of the ordinary). It was after this first update–supposedly to 1.5.4.5–that things never worked as they should. I had only had the hard drive for 2 hours before there was a problem with this software. I love WD hard drives; I have no idea why this program is such a dud.

I’ve had this hard drive for about a year and has had a few software and firmware updates. I’ve never once had an issue with it until now and now it’s causing nothing but problems. I can’t back anything up because the software is technically outdated. I will be on the phone again with tech support tomorrow.