Community Manager
Bill_S

Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.5.4.5 for Windows (3/20/12)

[ Edited ]

You may post your experiences in this thread.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Advisor
JayBee66

Re: ■Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.5.4.5 for Windows (3/20/12)

Hi,

this version does not show the "leakage" of files from the GUIs that 1.5.1.6 did. With me it also uses much less RAM than 1.5.1.6. did. I hope that that is the end of everybodys troubles.

John

Occasional Advisor
In_Hong_Kong

[ Edited ]

Thanks for trying it and reporting to all. I found with earlier versions that the drain on resources (apparently I am not allowed to say "resources-s u c k") started to build up after a period of use. So could you let us know whether CPU and memory usage remains good after a few weeks.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor
mapell

Re: Software Update - WD SmartWare Version 1.5.4.5 for Windows (3/20/12)

This update has been an absolute disaster !!

I was running v1.5.1.6 - WD Smartware advised me to update.  Downloaded update and tried to apply it - failed.

Rebooted and tried to update again - failed.

Rebooted and tried to open WDSmartware assuming MSI had reverted back to v1.5.1.6 - nothing !

Tried to reinstall v1.5.1.6 using previous updater - failed saying I was already running v1.5.1.6.

Tried a repair - failed saying couldn't find critical MSI files in C:\Program Files\....

Tried to uninstall - failed.

I am now locked out of my WD drive with its vital data as WD Smartware won't run to allow me to enter my decryption password.

Thanks very much for nothing !!!!

O/S - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 X64 with all MS patches.

Occasional Visitor
Almondman

I downloaded --WDSmartWare_Software_Upgrader_for_Windows_1.5.4.11B.zip-- I unzipped it and ran the installer. After about 4 minutes I got "Installation was not successful (Error Code: 1603) Please try again or contact WD. I tried this several times with the same result.

I then installed the WDSmartWare_Software_Upgrader_for_Windows_1.5.1.6 and it installed just fine.

So at this point the 1.5.4.11B version won't work for me. By the way I thought the update version was 1.5.4.5?

If any body has help for me please let me know.

Occasional Contributor
Terrance

Installed this afternoon. Very clunky installation, had to restart twice, but got installed. At one point pop-up said it was 1.5.4.8 but now says 1.5.4.5. STILL DOES NOT WORK RIGHT.

Came home just now and RAM was full from WDFME.exe locking up machine.

I have 12.27 GB RAM, when I got home I was using 12.16 of it. Over 10 GB's of that was from WDFME.exe.

Frequent Advisor
Robert_C

[ Edited ]

Sorry WD... you people STILL can't make software that works. I upgraded...

(1) So far, I'm sitting here 2+ hours, and the software still consumes my computer, "Categorizing files". Come on! Norton's full system/disk scan doesn't take that long

(2) I "turned off" backup, hoping that would free up my system long enough to be able to select the files/folders I want backed up. Even with Backup turned off WDFME.exe and the other tasks continue to consume 100% of my CPU.

Frequent Visitor
rodavis44

After updating yesterday I found that my old MyBook drive is not being recognized.  It shows up as a local drive without any content.  Not sure yet this has anything to do with the Smartware 1.5.4.5 update but I will be after I try it on another PC.

Like another post which I now can't find, when I brought up Smartware for my Passport drive after the update I had trouble with the gray tabs for Backup, Retrieve and, within Settings, the Drive Settings.  The reply to that post said click on the remote drive icon.  That solved it all right.  But why was this change in basic operation even necessary? 

I thought it might be due to mulitple drives but I have only one connected.  And just like the user in the post that disappeared, I thought there was something wrong with how my update was installed.  I spent several hours trying to reinstall and rebooting, as well as disconnecting and reconnecting the Passport drive.

Occasional Visitor
BlueVFRank

Performed to update and like other can no longer aproach my data on the backup.

The tabs back up and recover remain gray and i can only adjust the pc settings and not the drive settings.

thanks for this update

Frequent Advisor
Watchful

As rodavis44 says, try clicking on the remote drive icon, ie on the Home Tab give a single left click on the icon for 'My Passport Essential', or what ever your WD drive is called, and that should bring up the backup and retrieve tabs.  You have to do this every time you open Smartware from Quick View.  Definitely not an improvement to the previous version.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD