SmartWare has been lying to me

It says I have been backed up. It shows blue, and it says it has one, or five, or whatever. It shows it is backing up, but it is NOT. I have Win 8.1 I decided to get a trial version of another backup software, just so I could do more backups than SmartWare allows me to. I have the newest version of SmartWare. I have My Passport plugged into the USB H drive slot. I looked in my documents and pictures folder, and they were empty. I freaked out. I had to manually send the folders in, by right clicking, send to H drive. Then I did a little investigating. It did put most of my downloads in the downloads folder, but NOT ALL OF THEM. None of my other important documents, videos, music, nothing like that was backed up. I have always used WD for my hard drives, internally, and now externally. Surely they can do better than this? Thank goodness I had my documents and folders also backed up on a usb flash drive. WD what in the world is going on here? I read other people saying they had problems, but this is ridiculous. I wanted SmartWare just to do backups I could read, like documents, pictures, etc… then use the other software to do the backups SmartWare won’t. The other software doesn’t let you view the stuff that you back up, only file numbers that basically have no meaning to me. If I do not use that software, and uninstall it, that backup on My Passport is meaningless. So now, here I am, manually doing backups to My Passport. I could do that on a USB flash drive. I bought My Passport, which is my first external drive recently. I wanted IT do to the work FOR ME. Any advise on this? Oh, and I just did a test document to see what SmartWare would do. Sure enough, it said it backed up successfully. It lied again. I went to Documents, and then My Documents. I thought if I renamed a folder, it might send it there. NOPE. It is appalling. Please advise someone on this. I’d rather not uninstall, install…do I don’t know how many more steps. Why can’t the software just WORK?

Hello,

As a recommendation, try contacting WD Support so they can assist you setting up the backup software properly.

Please see WD Contact info on the link below:

http://support.wd.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

1 Like

Thank you, I will try that.