SmartWare asking for user and password - nothing works

The SmartWare share on the drive was accidentally set to Private. I managed to set it back to Public after doing a paperclip reset on the drive. I confirmed it is now set back to public by viewing the share in WD MyCloud Dashboard. However, when I now go to the WD Smartware desktop application, it asks for a userid and password to connect to the My Cloud drive. The user I have set up for myself  via the My Cloud Dashboard (I’m the admin) doesn’t work. I also believe the backups are no longer running because I periodically get a popup message saying that authentication with the drive failed. If I try to access the drive in windows Explorer, I can access my personal shares/folders no problem, but again, I get challenged for a userid and password if I try to access the SmartWare folder. I’m out of ideas. What should I do?

jmasone,

Welcome to the WD Community,

As a recommendation, try resetting your computer and if stills the same, try installing the WD Smartware again so the information will be updated.

I already reboot the PC, reboot the My Cloud drive, and reinstalled WD Smartware Pro (upgrading to the latest version).  I’m still getting the login challenge when trying to connect to MyCloud via WD Smartware Pro or when trying to access the SmartWare backup share via windows explorer.

I should note that I am able to access the Smartware backup share via the MyCloud iPhone app, so it seems to be something specific about how the PC or the WD Smartware Pro application is attempting to connect.  I opened a support case via the Support Portal, but it’s been well over 24 hours and I haven’t heard back yet.

FYI - in case it helps, the PC is running 64-bit Vista.

I had that problem and it was related to IP address, the address had changed and smartware no longer recognised the mycloud

For the record, here is the solution that finally worked for me:

1. Uninstall WD Smartware

2. At the windows command prompt, type " net use \fileservername /del" to delete the cached login credentials of the share (where fileservername is the name of the mycloud server - you can do a " net use" to see all servers if you’re not sure of the name)

3. Reinstall WD Smartware