SmartWare On Notebook -- Correct Procedure?

I have installed SmartWare Pro on my notebook computer and am backing up to a removable non-WD USB hard drive. The hard drive is not always connected to the notebook, though, and I am unsure of the best procedure to use when it is not going to be connected.

Should SmartWare backup be disabled prior to the notebook being used without the backup drive connected or can SmartWare backup remain enabled and it will continue on again when the backup drive is again connected?

I have experienced the issue well documented on this and other forums where SmartWare inexplicably stops backing up changed files. I have had do delete and reinstall SmartWare twice now to resolve that issue. I have been disabling backup before disconnecting the removable backup drive and I wonder if this issue is related to that. Maybe I should be leaving backup enabled regardless of whether or not the backup drive will be connected.

Hello RalphG, you can leave the backup enabled, if you need to disconnect the drive just eject it properly and once you connect it again to the PC the Smartware will continue the backup. Note that Smartware wont backup the files if they are in use by any other program on your PC. 

1 Like