Removing WD Smartware on your PC & Getting into Password WD Hard Drive with just VCD Unlocker

I found a techinque to remove WD Smartware and still giving people access to their protected partition.

NOTE: I’m not responsible for any issues caused by following the steps below. They have worked on my systems (both running XP) and might work on yours.

Revmoing WD Smartware

1. If your using password proection onthe drivet, have your password handy. Also UNLOCK VCD, you’ll need it.

( I’ve had WD Smartware installed and updated to the latest version at this point. You might NOT need it but if it doesn’t work repeat the process at this point with WD Smartware installed)

1. Update the fireware on the drive to the latest version.

2. Uninstall WD Smartware (if its on your system), perferably with some uninstall software so you can remove some annoying registery files it leaves behind. [I’ve used Revo Uninstaller in this case…]

3. Reboot and hopefully its off your system. [It was removed on mine]

If not check X:/Program Files/Western Digital/ (where X is your hard drive with the OS partition, generally C) and delete that folder. If you really aren’t sure search for WD Smartware and check for any linguring files. For those who think WD Smartware is a rootkit, scan your system with your anti-malware software.

Also check to make sure that WD is NOT running at start up. To do this go to Start > Program FIles > Start up and remove WD Smartware and other similar software that is in the Start up Folder

1. Now disable AutoRun on your OS ( WD Smartware will not start up and attempt to install itself when you plug in the drive…)  You’ll have to be an admin to do this. [Sihce I have Win XP I used Tweak UI…]

2. Reboot system, to ensure that the setting ARE saved…

To be completely sure, check the start up folder and the auto runs one more time.

To get into your password protected drive with just  VCD

1. Plug in the drive.

If the Find New Hardware Wizard starts running, cancel it. You will have to set the wizard to always ignore the hard drive. (NOTE: If the New Hardware Wizard is not running when you plug in the drive, chances are WD Smartware might

be on your computer…)

[On my system I get the message: The New Hard Drive is installed but my mnot work properly until next reboot]

1. Open the VCD on the corresponding drive and run unlocker. Enter password…

Note: VCD IS NEEDED to get into the drive, as I found out. As stated by the error message, the Unlocker software on the corresponding drive must be used to unlock the drive which is why you can’t/shouldn’t delete VCD.

Note: To delete password-protected partitions, you will need to install WD Smartware.

For data back-ups I use Allway sync and for system back-ups I use partigon.

Hope this helps… It worked for me… (Yes this my first post in the forum LOL)

Sorry for my bad English… D:

If I had realised that the drive came with this software irretrevably embedded I would not have bought it.

Well its too late once you buy it, unless you sell it, so I found the said solution above and fixed it. I’m still using it without any issues as WD Smartware isn’t installed on my local systems.

I’m still using it since  without any other problems… The password protection system still works.

does this fix the drive itself, or does it only fix it on that computer.  I dont want this thing popping up every time i plug it into a new computer.

I think it will only hide it not totally remove it. A lot people have posted about getting rid of it but on a close look all they accomplished was hining it.

Joe

Thank you Joe_S.  I did read quite a bit, but there was some conflicting reports so i thought this would be the best place to ask the question.  I need 2TB drives that do not popup anything when i plug them into mulitple computers.  I like WD and they are priced right so it stink’s that i have to look elsewhere.  I need about a half dozen of these, i guess its back to researching.

C’mon WD fix this for your die hard customer fans!

We do sell 2 TB Elements drives that have the same kinds of internal drives in them, and there’s no VCD or SmartWare on them.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=762

Walmart has the elements onsale so i bought a few of them today.  Going to try them out.  Thanks for the post.

I got the following for an Initial Speed test after installing.  BTW it installed instantly when i plugged it in with no problems.

Access Time:        15.96ms

Max Read Speed: 19.37 MB/sec

Cached Speed:     27.93 MB/sec

Read speed seems very slow but i can deal with it, set it up to do what i need at night.  Scored these new for under a buck twenty five at walmart so i am not complaning.  Untill usb3.0 is out in affordable numbers, this seems like the drive to get.  THe glossy piano black sides was a suprise, the pictures on site dont do this thing justice, too bad its going to be hidden, it looks nice.