Question about security settings backup of files - cannot open wma files after upgrade

Hi,

I’ve taken a backup of my one machine which includes some audio and video files.  I also recently upgraded to the latest version of Smartware.

On the primary machine where the backup was taken, I am able to access the swstor directory and play my wma files directly.  This works for files that were backed up with the old version as well as with the new version of Smartware.

On a secondary machine, where the backup was not taken, it’s a different story.  For files that were backed up with the old version, I am still able to access those files and play them with no problem.  However, for newer files that were backed up under the upgraded version, I can view the files, but when I try to open them, it fails with the generic Windows Media error:

“Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored.”

I tried to update the security settings on the folder to Everyone and Full Access, but it didn’t work.

So, I have a few questions:

1. Has the backup of security settings changed in the upgraded version?  i.e. is it now backing up the security settings?

2. How can I disable preserving the security settings so that I can restore to another PC without issues?

Thanks.

Make sure that you are log in as the administrator on the computer and check the security settings.

Instead of changing the permissions, check the tab that says owner and make sure that your user is listed.

The latest version of the backup software is backing up the security settings as well. Currently, there’s no option to change that on the software.

Thanks.  At least now I realize that it wasn’t something that I did.  I figured that the functionality must have changed.  Is there any formal way to request to have an option of whether or not to include security settings in the backup?  I typically have to take backups of PCs from different Windows domains, so clearly this is a pain because the owner of the files of one machine are not there on the other.  Also, what happens if you have to completely rebuild the PC.  Will the owner still be the same?

One final thing that I noticed.  If I simply change the owner and run SmartWare again, it doesn’t see that as a change to the file, so is not getting backed up with other changed files.

Do you know which version this functionality was added?  In case I would like to downgrade.

Thanks.