Please help retrieve backup contents from WD smartware

Hello everyone,

I used WD Smartware to backup my drive to MyBookLive.

Now I am in need of restoring backuped data and I am starting to learn the hard way that it was not smart to trust SmartWare.

I  installed the new HDD on the laptop, size is the same , 320 GB.

First , in SmartWare , I choose an option to Retrieve data, then want it to retrieve files to original locations.

I can’t select that option.

Why?

Old setup is called the same as new one (PM)

HOW TO RETRIEVE BACKUPED DATA TO ORIGINAL LOCATIONS ???

Thanks in advance!

P.M.

PS. I tried “restoring in  differenent content folder” but it not good either, it retrieves only part of the data.

Are you trying to retrieve the data on a different computer (not the same want you backed up before, lol)? if that’s the case do this:

1- Install Smartware on the new computer and run a backup (sounds crazy but that’s the only way this will work)

2- Open a folder named WD Smartware.swstor and transfer the data manually from the drive to the computer

another option:

after running the backup go to the retrieve tab and select the option that allows you to retrieve on a retrieved content folder to transfer the files automaticly

why the retrieve on the original places is not working? because that option only works when you retrieve data on the same computer you originally backed up.-

Ricardo,

It is the same computer, just with a new disk and fresh XP installation. The computer name is the same.

IMHO it should _just_ work , why else would you need complete backups ?

Anyway, your remark about messing with .swstor sounds interesting … 

Thanks

P.M.

Windows is kinda funny with permissions and users.

With the new HDD and the fresh install, even if you use the identical username, as far as Windoze is concerned, you’re a different user and those files that were backed up aren’t “yours”.

Ya… it’s messed up.

Even after manually copying the files out of the Smartware.swstor folder to your new Windoze HDD, I wouldn’t be surprised if Windoze starts telling you that you don’t have permission, every time you go to access the files… You might have to go into their properties and change their permissions. :dizzy_face:

disappointed1 wrote:

Ricardo,

It is the same computer, just with a new disk and fresh XP installation. The computer name is the same.

IMHO it should _just_ work , why else would you need complete backups ?

Anyway, your remark about messing with .swstor sounds interesting … 

Thanks

P.M.

Even though you have the same computer and you are using the same name, WD Smartware will think you are on a different computer (Unfortunately).-