New Release - WD Smartware Version 2.0.0 for Windows (4/16/13)

Strange … running Outlook (from Office 2010 Suite) and both my Outlook data files (outlook.pst and archive.pst) are backed up.

Are You sure that Outlook is´nt running in the background?
Try Ctrl + Alt + Del and check the processes for Outlook…

VulkanBros wrote:

I have 2 PC´s, one with Win 7 and one with Win 8 - both are able to hybernate (fall to sleep) and resume again.

I have not been using WD Smartware before version 2.0.0.x - but there is no problem in this version…

I’d given up on WD fixing Smartware, but if that is true, then I might have to try version 2.0.0; maybe other problems have been addressed too!!!

I got the software update prompt on starting smartware and mow this new version prompts me for a password to access the drive.

Meanwhile I never set up a password for my drive. How do I fix this. I thought this problem had been fixed by WD after all this time and complaints. I am running vista home premium 64 and have a 1TB my book live drive. I also updated my drive firmware to the latest version.

There seems to be a loss of functionality in version 2.0.0 compared with 1.6.5 - the prior version allowed the backup of multiple drives to a Passport drive but the latest version seems to only allow one drive to be backed up. Am I missing something?

For now I’m rolling back to 1.6.5.3 (per a KB article that details rolling back from 2.0.0) andkeeping my fingers crossed that all my prior backups will be fully accessible…

Still dont work. Smartware try to start op but got a erro. assemblyen WDIO.dll plese fix it.

I runn windows 7 64bit

Thanks for the advice, but no… Outlook is not running on the background. I have tried everything possible on previous versions of Smartware…

I will keep doing some more tests…

I wish WD folks issue some comments about that, as a lot of people have the same problem… just google for it…

Running Windows XP 32 bit, with all the mentioned software, but after completing the installation my smartware is still 1.6.5

I’m using Smartware 2.0.0 with a My Passport on a Win 7 64-bit system. The initial backup was fine. Any files I create or modify while the drive is plugged in are immediately backed up. But any file I create or modify while the drive is not plugged in do NOT get backed up when I later plug the drive in.

Checking the SmartWare backup tab, the message at the top says the backup is complete. The file count on the right has no pending files. But if I look in the retrieve tab to retrieve these files, they are not there, and if I look on the drive itself, they are not there. If I then open one of these files while the drive is plugged in, modify it, and save it, it’s immediately backed up.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling SmartWare, rebooting, starting and stopping the WD services, with no change. In case it was just a matter of time, I’ve left the drive plugged in for 48 hours, and still these files don’t get backed up.

If anyone has a fix for this, I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m on the verge of giving up and going with another app.

AncientBrit, the backup interface is different now. On the backup tab, under your computer, there should be a dropdown list with each drive in it. You select each one, and then check folders separately, instead of the old interface where all drives were listed in the pane.

Did you do the downgrade from 2.0 to 1.6 and did it work? I’m considering trying that to see if it solves my problem with files not backing up.

New software now works great, starts up faster and also backs up outlook.

I have checked and I have the correct firmware for my Passport.  I’m at software level 1.2.0.8 and the home screen says I should download 2.0.  I’ve done that and run the installer.  It finishes, but after restarting my PC and starting Smartware, it says I’m still at 1.2.0.8  I’ve tried it (5) times and the same thing happens.

Anybody got any ideas?

So, I have tried (6) times to install new software 2.0 on my Win 7 Home Premium PC.  It says it installs, but when I start Smartware, some error block comes across the screen then vanishes fast and Smartware does not come up.  And yes, I’ve performed all the documented instruections to install and restart my machine.  This version just doesn’t work, so I’m going back to rlse 1.5.1.6 which works fine.

Just let me know when you have a new rlse of 2.0

This is a follow up to my post on the Smartware version 1.6.5 thread that detailed my three major problems with the 1.6.X versions of software. I’ve installed (no problems) Smartware version 2.0.0, performed an initial backup, and these are my findings compared to those three issues.

1.6.X Issue 1 – Starting with the 1.6.X versions of Smartware Windows 7’s Power Management was disrupted or disabled; specifically, the computer would never go into Sleep Mode according to the Power Management Plan. It didn’t matter whether Smartware backup was stopped or started.

Finding: I’m happy to say that this issue has been corrected in Smartware version 2.0.0!!! With Smartware installed, but with backup disabled after the initial backup (the only mode I’ve tested so far), the computer will now go to sleep according to the Windows 7 settings.

1.6.X Issue 2 – In the 1.6.X versions of Smartware it took an inordinate amount of time to perform the initial backup. Specifically, with version 1.6.5 it took me, on an idle computer (nothing else going on), 7 hours and 26 minutes to perform a dedicated initial Category Backup (11,350 Files – 11.1GB) over a Wireless N connection to one of my 1TB MyBookLives. Using Windows 7 Pro’s network backup to the same 1TB MyBookLive; it took about half that time to back up the same Data Files that Smartware did, plus a System Image of both the Recovery Partition of my local drive and the OS (C) for a total of 71.3GB. 11.1GB compared to 71.3GB!

Finding: I’m happy to say there’s been a dramatic improvement in version 2.0.0!!! I honestly can’t accurately quantify the improvement because I’ve improved my network since that measurement, but on the same idle computer (nothing else going on); it took 1 hour and 5 minutes to perform a dedicated Category Backup using the Continuous Backup setting (11,444 Files – 10.7GB) over a Wireless N connection to the same 1TB MyBookLive.

1.6.5 Issue 3 – I prefer to use Backup as “on demand”, not continually performing in the background. So, with versions prior to 1.6.x I would launch Smartware, turn on Backup, it would quickly categorize and back up all of my Category Files (new or changed files), and when backup was complete I would turn Backup off. With 1.6.x, after the initial lengthy Backup, when I launch Smartware it categorizes my files and if you mouse over the categories in your primary drive’s (C) panel, you can see the file count and note the increase from the same categories that are shown in the MyBookLive Backup panel (current backup). When you select that drive for Backup, for some reason the number of files in the categories of your primary drive are reset (decremented) to match the target MyBookLive; basically showing no files for Backup. At that point nothing happens, it doesn’t perform a Backup. Perhaps if I left Backup turned on it would eventually perform the necessary backup, but that’s not how Smartware versions prior to 1.6.x worked and not how I want to use it. With 1.6.x I’ve never seen a successful backup of files awaiting backup after that initial lengthy backup.

Comment: After the initial complete backup tonight using version 2.0.0; I disabled backup. I haven’t tested this “On Demand” so-to-speak method/issue yet; I’ll wait for a few new files to be added and then I’ll Enable Backup and see how it performs. Once I test it, I’ll update this post.

Update, Finding: I added 22 pictures and several documents since the initial backup this evening. So, I launched Smartware and Enabled Backup. Although I didn’t see a display saying it was categorizing my files, it quickly found the new files (pictures and documents) and backed them up. So, it appears that what I’d call an “On Demand” style of backup, that I prefer, works in this version, so far, good deal, thanks again!!!

Thanks WD; you’ve restored some of my confidence!!!

Bill

1 Like

who have made the rubbish :angry: it does not work on windows7 64bit :angry:  fix SmartWare so it can be used on windows 7 thx :wink:

I’m on Win 7 64-bit. I’m a software developer, and provide tech support for the products I develope, so, I consider myself to know a little bit about troubleshooting PC and software problems.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I got Smartware 2.0.0 installed and the initial backup completed. Any files created or modified while the Passport drive is plugged in are immediately backed up. But if I unplug the drive, create and modify files, then plug the drive back in, the automatic backup of those files never happens.

I’ve done all the usual things like uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, restarting the WD services, redoing the backup from scratch, etc. When I gave up, I contacted support. The level 1 tech told me to do the things I’d already done. Because that failed I was referred to level 2 support. The answer seems to be the software’s just not going to work on my computer.

So I’m sticking with the third-party app I’ve been using for years (SyncBack). It’ll automatically run when I plug in the drive, does versioning on only the directories I need that on, and most important - it actually works.

WD makes great drives. All my externals are WD. And my media server is the WDTVLiveHub, which I love. But WD software - not so great so far.

1 Like

After removing all Smartware from my PC due to my disgust with system resource utilization and lack of having Windows 7 sleepmode capability due to continual backup, I noticed 2.0.0 is now available and decided to give it a shot.  I was amazed to find that many of my suggestions to tech support were implemented!  We now have the capability to either do continuous backup or we can set time and dates to do a backup.  I was amazed to find that if you set a backup for nightime for everyday of the week, that system resources finally run at zero when not doing a backup.  My CPU thanks you!  Also, I can finally schedule Windows 7 64 bit pro to do windows sleep mode and my system will actually go to sleep as long as I do not set Smartware for continuous backup.  It was a long time coming but I wanted to say thank you for finally releasing version 2.0.0.

I think the thing that concerned me was that 2.0.0.3 seemed to cordon off the prior backups as if they were made by some other application. That left me with a paltry 232G to provide backup space for what’s currently occupying over 900G in the “other files”.

On top of that, the calculations made by 2.0.0.3 of how much space was currently sequestered were crazy - usually of the order of 4T or more, on a drive that’s just 1T in size…

In addition, the Passport drive is listed in 2.0.0.3 but -appropriately - isn’t in 1.6.5.3. True, if you try to include the Passport drive as a drive to be backed up, there is a warning message that the source and destination are on the same drive - but it shouldn’t even appear in the drive list.

I did see that it was possible to individually select in turn each drive to be backed up (although it’s not clear that they are all being backed up simultaneously), but in each case not only was the prior backup space sequestered, it was such a palaver to have to keep switching between Home and Backup in order to choose drives. Not an improvement, IMHO.

The rollback wasn’t completely straightforward. 2.0.0.3 lists no less than three entries in Add/Remove Programs under XP Pro SP3 + all patches, and it’s not clear which one is the right one to start removal with. The three are WD Quickview, WD Smartware, and confusingly WD Smartware Installer (!).

I chose to begin removal with the Installer, and while that seemed to go OK, the other two reported errors (“This action [removal] is only valid for products that are currently installed”), yet still ultimately disappeared from the list of Programs in Add/Remove Programs.

I’ve done this twice now, to exclude an effect that seems to have been an artefact (namely, the deletion of javacpl.cpl, which makes accessing the Java Control Panel entry impossible if it’s missing). I’m not sure why the Java CPL was deleted, but it doesn’t look as though WD software was at fault there (it may have been a bizarre side effect of installing 7_21 around the same period of time).

During this period the Passport drive froze again (as described under another thread for 1.6.5.3), but this time I couldn’t be bothered to go through the power cycle and simply unplugged the USB connector for the Passport and then reinserted it (which is supposed to be OK, right? USB2 et seq are meant to be hot-swappable, right?), which allowed the ongoing backup to apparently resume OK.

Someone else commented that they liked WD hardware, but software - not so much. I second that (for now).

Sorry for the slow response - I didn’t receive a notification of your reply, and it was only by chance that I came across it today.

Sorry to report that after downloading and installing 2.0.0 today for my Win 7 64bit machine the computer still experience the “no sleep” issue that plaugued releses 1.6 and later.  1.5.x is not a problem in this regard, and I hope I do not have to go back to that version (again).  It is too bad becuase I like the new features and speed in 2.0.0

Is there a fix on the way for the ongoing sleep problem?

Based on other people’s comments about the latest version I “updated” today expecting this to have solved the Win7 sleep problem. I then stopped the continuous back up with great expectations and waited.  Problem not solved. Computer did not sleep.

I had been in an email exchange with WD support about this issue when using 1.6.5 but then they simply did not reply any more - coincidentally immediately before the launch of version 2.0.0

I emailed “support” asking them to escalate the issue on 15th April - no reply. My follow up email to “support” asking them to respond was sent on 25 April. No reply.

I shall try again but rapidly losing any faith in Smartware and WD Support.

We released version 2.0.1 today.  However, we are keeping this thread open, since it was a minor update.

SmartWare 2.0.1 Update

• Added capability to select a specific currency when purchasing WD SmartWare Pro.