New Release - WD SmartWare Version 1.3.6 for Mac 10.5-10.9 (11/25/13)

WD is happy to announce the release of WD SmartWare Version 1.3.6 for Mac 10.5-10.9.

• Fixed an issue related to reports of some customers, under certain conditions, experiencing data loss when updating to Apple’s OS X Mavericks (10.9).

Please feel free to post your experiences or questions in this thread.

2 Likes

Thanks, Bill!

hi there

This is the PATCH? can rebuild the Hard Disk?

Is this why I can not find the uninstaller program referred to in previous messages?

miglio wrote:

hi there

This is the PATCH? can rebuild the Hard Disk?

It’s not a patch.  It’s the updated version of the software.  What do you mean by “rebuild the disk”?  Are you talking about rebuilding the raid of a dual drive?

syungbluth                     

I guess.  But you no longer need the uninstaller.  With these updated software, when you go to install them, they will remove any previous versions of the software and install the new one.

Applied but… this seems just an upgrade to prevent the big issue happening more but it won’t rebuild or recover the partitions already wiped out. Could someone from WD confirm this?

thanks

icordoba wrote:

Applied but… this seems just an upgrade to prevent the big issue happening more but it won’t rebuild or recover the partitions already wiped out. Could someone from WD confirm this?

thanks

Correct.  It is an upgrade to help prevent the data loss issue with Mavericks.  But, no, it will not rebuild or recover the partitions already wiped out.  However, if you have a dual drive, then the WD Drive Manager will now work with Mavericks to build or rebuild raid partitions, as well as monitor/managing them.

I have / had a full Carbon Copy Clone backup on a My Book Studio II connected by Firewire 800 to my 2009 iMac running OS X 10.9. It was Raid 1 for speed as I used it as an emergency boot drive. It is only turned on to do a back-up, typically once a week. It worked perefectly folloing the installation of 10.9. Then it booted with no contents showing after perhaps working fine for 2 to 3 back-ups. I have since left alone and waited to see if Apple or WD come up with a fix.

Bill-S. The new WD software no doubt will enable me to restore partitions - they have gone when looked at via disc utility. But have I lost all the data on my drive?

Second, I have three other WD drives in various other external enclosures. Is it safe to open these up? I have left well alone but no news yet if this was a WD software issue or something else. My Time Capsule has a 2TB green drive inside and even that has played up under Mavericks… but I am not having a pop at WD. The 1TB drive inside my Mac is one.

Did not help me at all. Still can’t get connected to MyBook World Edition II (white light). Read in the Smart Ware manual that it does not support MyBook World - is that so?

My problem has been that I can’t connect to the MyBook World edition II. It shows up in the Finder window but any attempt to connect fail. Anyone else with the same problem?

BSA650 wrote:

Bill-S. The new WD software no doubt will enable me to restore partitions - they have gone when looked at via disc utility. But have I lost all the data on my drive?

Second, I have three other WD drives in various other external enclosures. Is it safe to open these up? I have left well alone but no news yet if this was a WD software issue or something else. My Time Capsule has a 2TB green drive inside and even that has played up under Mavericks… but I am not having a pop at WD. The 1TB drive inside my Mac is one.

If you restore the partitions, you won’t bring the data back.  The data would need to be recovered, if it can be.  Also, restoring the partitions could diminish your chances of ever restoring the data. 

For your second question, it depends on if you care about voiding any warranties.  It also depends on which drives they are.  If they are SmartWare drives then you don’t want to bother taking them out of their cases.  They are hardware encrypted drives and will not work outside a case that can unencrypt them.  If they’re not hardware encrypted, and you don’t care about their warranties, then you can do with them what you please.

Lathallin wrote:

Did not help me at all. Still can’t get connected to MyBook World Edition II (white light). Read in the Smart Ware manual that it does not support MyBook World - is that so?

The basic version of SmartWare does not recognize the My Book World.  You would need to purchase the SmartWare Pro version to do that.

Dear Bill_S,

I’m a My Book Studio II customer. I would like to know if this discussion also applies for WD Drive Manager. In particular, if I update to the new version (3.1.0 ), will this version take care of removing the previous one?

Currently I have ML 10.8.5. So, do I need to update the WD Drive Manager and the then install Mavericks or viceversa?

Thanks in advance.

Great news except…now my other WD drive is gone from the finder!  You guys must practice this too much!  First the software updates, then when updating the firmware - which it says to do…it says half way through the drive is locked!  Now I can’t even access it using usb or firewire!!! 

Thanks for wasting another day, crashing another drive.  Makes me wonder why i bought WD drives in the first place.  Oh to add insult to injury, I get a support reply after over 6 weeks stating he’s here to help!

RIGHT!

I own 2 6TB MyStudio Drives and 4 4 TB Drives. 

I use them all in RAID 1 which makes for 2TB and 3TB drives. 

I have a full copy of each drive. One 6TB drive crashed on me without the WD Software installed. 

Each drive contains a full years archive (or less) of photography works. There are thousands (we are talking about 50-250k range) of photos, raw files, edits and comments on those drives sorted in multiple folders and everything.

The recovery of my crashed drive using Kroll has so far recovered raw files, but there is no folder structure and all files have lost their file names and been given random names. Kroll Recovery also recovered the folder structure seperatly, but the files in those folders are corrupt.  

Right now, the recovery leaves me with numerous unsorted, unnnamed, unsearchable files and in legal risk to many of my clients. Another problem is that a recovery of RAID 1 3TB Drives still produces a recovery output of 5TB and counting - i actually had to go out and buy new drives to handle the raw recovery output. This is a PAIN!

I do not see any reassurance of WD so far whatsoever that the intitial problem that caused the drives to be reformatted has really been taken care of. Remember: the computer with 10.9 that the crashed drive was attached to didnt contain any installed wd software. What reassurance do you give that this problem has REALLY been deeply taken care of? 

Right now this error has destroyed a full years work and if i didnt have a spare copy it would need about 3 to 4 full working weeks to regain a working folder- & file structure. Whos paying for that if another drive will crash? 

Can i now without any risk attach one of the remaining drives? 

When I try to update software for Maverick there is a message that says The WD update server is currently unavailable. I have tried to install the program several times. Whats wrong?

Same problem here. Any fixes?

Hello Bill.

After updating to WD SmartWare 1.3.6, WD Quick View no longer unlocks my My Book Studio 2TB drive. Any word on an upcoming update of WD Quick View 2.4.0.6?

Thanks.

I too, lost complete connection with a backup WD drive – Mavericks doesn’t even see the disk anymore.  But this update is only for WD backup sofware.  What I need is the WD Drive Manager, and this does not include it.  I wasn’t using WD Smart Ware, I was using Time Machine.  So this fix does not help, unfortunately.