Frequent Visitor
Monique222
Accepted Solution

Need to restore files to a new computer

I have a Passport Essentials drive and  I used the WD SmartWare software on the drive to backup files from one computer. I now have problems on this computer with Explorer.exe and this computer won't start properly. I wanted to restore my important files on another computer. When I plugged my Passport drive to this new computer and installer the WD SmartWare software. I can see that there are 16 Gb of files on the drive, but it won't let me access them. If I view the contents of the drive, I see the folders with the SmartWare software and also a hidden folder called System. When I double click this folder, it gives a message that it is not accessible.

How can I access the 16 Gb of files that are on the Passport drive?

Thank you.

Honored Contributor
Alucardx23

Re: Need to restore files to a new computer

Inside the passport you will find a folder with the name smartware.swstor, if you explore that folder you should be able to find the files.

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts and be sure to come back and 'Accept as Solution' under options for the post that solved your issue.
Frequent Visitor
Monique222

Thank you - That was the one folder I had missed when I checked the drive!.

Thanks again.

LoneRanger417

I am having serious issues with file permissions whwen I try to restore files.  Do I need to take ownership of each directory individually?

David

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD