MyBook Essential how to just backup

After installing Smartware the WD Essential ran for 2 days categorising my files. Now whenever I start my PC it starts categorising them again. All I want to do is backup what’s on my PC as is. How do you get it to do just that and only that? Harry_W

SmartWare does not create full backups, only from your personal data.  If you want to do a complete backup you can use Windows Backup or third party software.

1 Like

Depending on what and how you want to backup Sync software might work too. Click on say My Documents on computer side and the destination and both files will be made to match. Smartware is continuous backup so it can be a resource hog. It’s picky about what it backs up too.

Joe

1 Like

If the software never ran from the get go, you may have a busted install. Unless you have system issues, it should be ready-to-run, right off the bat. Ideally, that’s what a hardware/software combination device should do. To avoid insanity, you gotta install the latest .NET Frameworks (4.0) and Windows updates:confounded:, before attempting to remove the software. After uninstalling the backup software, download the latest version and reinstall.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/wdsmartware.asp?id=wdfMP30_SEEssential&os=win