My Book Live not appearing as a backup target

HI

Having upgraded to windows 8 awhile ago I found that under device manager my mybook live had a “!” mark and WD Smartware wouldn’t open. As I could still access it via the file explorer shortcut, remotely through Twonky and FTP  I had just left it as is - until today !!

So, I uninstalled the old smartware (using a solution posted as wouldn’t uninstall), installed the updated software, updated the firmware and then went to look at setting backup options, this is when my problem started.

I only have dropbox appearing as a back up target why can’t I see my My Book Live as I don’t want to back up my PC to Dropbox !!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as have been looking through Google posts for the past 2 hours and can’t seem to find any answer :frowning:

PS: It is now showing fine in Device Manager :slight_smile:

You could try checking if the Security software or Firewall is blocking the connection to the drive.

1 Like

I am having the same problem - MBL not showing in Backup Target area.  Only Dropbox is showing.  I can access it fine thru explorer and web browser.  Any solution to this?  I am running Vista with latest version of SmartWare and latest firmware.  

Did either of you manage to find a fix? I’m running into a similar problem. (Can’t see drive as target, can browse it through explorer, running Win 7 with latest WD software and firmware.)

when you hover over the quick view icon in the task bar, do you get the pop up with the drive capacity and temperature?  If not, then smartware won’t see the drive.  I think Quick view and smartware are looking for http://mybooklive .  If you put that into your web browser and don’t get the dashboard you may have a dns issue. 

cman548 wrote:

when you hover over the quick view icon in the task bar, do you get the pop up with the drive capacity and temperature?  If not, then smartware won’t see the drive.  I think Quick view and smartware are looking for http://mybooklive .  If you put that into your web browser and don’t get the dashboard you may have a dns issue. 

If I put that address in my browser the dashboard appears. But I can’t see MyBookLive as Backup location in WD Smartware, I only see Dropbox as destination

Same here and if this is not fixed soon, it is going go in the garbage and I am seagate customer from now on.

I’m having the same issue, I just bought MyBookLive and upgraded the firmware, downloaded the latest version of WD Smartware from the website and it doesnt show the drive as a backup target, only dropbox. I tried it on two different machines and same issue. Is there any resolution for this? Pretty annoying

I have the same problem, has anyone found a solution to this. I’m a new WD customer and not impressed so far. I’m about to box it all up and take it back to PC World.

Andy

Well I tried connecting my laptop to the router directly, and then the nas to the laptop and it still doesnt show up as a backup target

I just used Good SYnc to synchronise my folders, it is so easy to define the source and the destination folder ( as mybooklive) and it works perfectly. So its definately something wrong with the WD Smartware program.

I have the same issue…purchased a My Passport, 1TB…Win 7 x 64 recognizes it just fine…WD Quick View shows it…but not WD SmartWare…

Sure wish a WD rep would acknolwedge this issue

same same problem here, in target we dont see my book ???

I’ve the same problem. Smartware v2 does not see my book live. Only the dropbox account.

Maybe the name of the drive? I’ve change the default name.

Like the other posters, I have the same problem.  Bought My Book Live Duo 6TB.  Configured to be RAID1.  After installing Smartware and starting it, the Home Tab shows only DropBox for target.  Smartware does not show My Book Live Duo device.  I can see the device through Windows explorer.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Looks like I was able to solve the problem.  In my case, the solution was changing an option in the wirelss router I use.  I use a FIOS Actiontec Router MI242Rwr.  

The option changed was IGMP Proxy.  The original setting was “Enabled”.  Changed to “Disabled”  Once this change was made and started Smartware, the My Live Book Duo device appeared on the Home tab. 

Hope this helps others.

I must be dreaming, I finally see my external hard drive WD. What have I done?

I moved my connection uSB Port USB3 to USB2, is this possible? Why it worked before and there the usb3 port anymore? weird

My Smartware cannot see my WD 2TB NAS.  I have reloaded software, checked for firewall block and nothing.  I also reboot router and all computers attached and same thing.  The WD does not show on the Smartware program, just dropbox…

I am having the same problem on one PC (a WinXP machine). Was working fine for weeks, and then the target seems to have disappeared about the same time as Quick View 2.2.  Have tried uninstalling Smartware and QuickView and reinstalling. Worked for about 5 minutes, then lost the connection. The MyBook Duo is seen just fine in network drives, and I have a timed batch file to back up the critical files on this PC to a fixed share (using XCopy), but would like to have the auto backup working again.

Help

customer suppport - hahahaha!

no backup target and no support.

xp now, W7 soon so backup and migration requirement.

yeah I could use 3pty SW… but I paid for a WD…