My Book Live not appearing as a backup target

I’m having the same issue, I just bought MyBookLive and upgraded the firmware, downloaded the latest version of WD Smartware from the website and it doesnt show the drive as a backup target, only dropbox. I tried it on two different machines and same issue. Is there any resolution for this? Pretty annoying

I have the same problem, has anyone found a solution to this. I’m a new WD customer and not impressed so far. I’m about to box it all up and take it back to PC World.

Andy

Well I tried connecting my laptop to the router directly, and then the nas to the laptop and it still doesnt show up as a backup target

I just used Good SYnc to synchronise my folders, it is so easy to define the source and the destination folder ( as mybooklive) and it works perfectly. So its definately something wrong with the WD Smartware program.

I have the same issue…purchased a My Passport, 1TB…Win 7 x 64 recognizes it just fine…WD Quick View shows it…but not WD SmartWare…

Sure wish a WD rep would acknolwedge this issue

same same problem here, in target we dont see my book ???

I’ve the same problem. Smartware v2 does not see my book live. Only the dropbox account.

Maybe the name of the drive? I’ve change the default name.

Like the other posters, I have the same problem.  Bought My Book Live Duo 6TB.  Configured to be RAID1.  After installing Smartware and starting it, the Home Tab shows only DropBox for target.  Smartware does not show My Book Live Duo device.  I can see the device through Windows explorer.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Looks like I was able to solve the problem.  In my case, the solution was changing an option in the wirelss router I use.  I use a FIOS Actiontec Router MI242Rwr.  

The option changed was IGMP Proxy.  The original setting was “Enabled”.  Changed to “Disabled”  Once this change was made and started Smartware, the My Live Book Duo device appeared on the Home tab. 

Hope this helps others.

I must be dreaming, I finally see my external hard drive WD. What have I done?

I moved my connection uSB Port USB3 to USB2, is this possible? Why it worked before and there the usb3 port anymore? weird

My Smartware cannot see my WD 2TB NAS.  I have reloaded software, checked for firewall block and nothing.  I also reboot router and all computers attached and same thing.  The WD does not show on the Smartware program, just dropbox…

I am having the same problem on one PC (a WinXP machine). Was working fine for weeks, and then the target seems to have disappeared about the same time as Quick View 2.2.  Have tried uninstalling Smartware and QuickView and reinstalling. Worked for about 5 minutes, then lost the connection. The MyBook Duo is seen just fine in network drives, and I have a timed batch file to back up the critical files on this PC to a fixed share (using XCopy), but would like to have the auto backup working again.

Help

customer suppport - hahahaha!

no backup target and no support.

xp now, W7 soon so backup and migration requirement.

yeah I could use 3pty SW… but I paid for a WD…

updated to 2.2 on vista 64 bit, and like others the MBL is not seen as a device.  I can navigate to the drive fine (just pulled some files from the smartware backup folder!), dashboard launches fine.  No device in smartware.

Considering I also have a usb drive for occasional backups (seagate, and their software is flaky too), I"m thinking of ditching smartware altogether, clearing out the drive, and using some other bkacup service that can back up to multiple drives.

Anybody use a free or cheap backup utliity that will work on Vista, 8, and will backup to two different locations as they are available?

looks like the vista machine had the “block all programs” box checked.  not sure when that happened.  I unchecked that, added quick view and smartware to the exceptions list, and it seems to stay connected now.  Quickview will show the space/temp info, and smartware sees the MBL.

hmm - got a long reply eventually about uninstalling everything and still did not work on the XP machine.

also set a pwd which i’m guessing I mistyped as I can’t get back in.

but… I can still store to and copy from the device…

so I copied my XP files as I don’t need continuous backup, just a snapshot.

Onto my W7 machine and everything worked fine with Smartware … even though I still don’t know my password. Worries me that the backup is not encrpyted and that you can access it without the password…

This is not (yet??) the simple and safe solution that I thought I was buying…

I use Windows 7.  When I have this problem I click on Computer → Network.  After a few moments the MyBookLive will be shown as a storage device.  As soon as this happens it is then visible as a back up target in smartware.

I have the same problem"

Win 7 64 Bit

WD mynet750 router

Livebook 1TB, doesn’t show up as backup target on my computer.

I have no firewall issues 

I have checked the sharing and I am on “home network” 

I Can see if in my network view on my computer and other devices on the network

I have Upnp on my router additionally

Ideas? 

sir,

my book live not appearing in backup target only drop box show.

2)   In xp smartware not installed i installed the dotnet 4.0

I just got off the phone with Western Digital customer support about this issue with WD Smartware 2.2.0.8 not seeing a MyBook Live as a backup target (only sees Dropbox).

I’m running Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit), fully patched, including the latest November 2013 “patch Tuesday” set of fixes.

I was told by Western Digital support that this is a known issue with WD Smartware 2.2.0.8 with 64-bit editions of Windows 8 (and 8.1).   It sounds like Western Digitial is working to fix the problem in a future release of WD Smartware, but the person I spoke with was not allowed to provide an estimate of when that fixed version would become available.

Meanwhile, I was told to use Windows 8’s built-in backup mechanism.