Major C: Drive Crash Scenario

Hi All

Let’s assume

I have a full backup of my C: drive which is my main drive on a WD External Disk done with WD Smartware.

Now let’s assume my C: has a complete failure.

If I buy a new C: Drive will I be able to re-install everything including the Windows Operation software?

Thanks for your Comments.

Bat

Capbat99 wrote:

Hi All

Let’s assume

I have a full backup of my C: drive which is my main drive on a WD External Disk done with WD Smartware.

Now let’s assume my C: has a complete failure.

If I buy a new C: Drive will I be able to re-install everything including the Windows Operation software?

Thanks for your Comments.

Bat

First of all, welcome to the WD Community Capbat99.  If the new C drive is larger than the original, you should be able to put all all your data back on the C: drive.  However, SmartWare does NOT back up the operating system software.  You will need to reinstall your operating system, all your programs and SmartWare to retrieve your data from the external drive.

Thanks for your welcoming words Bill.

Further to this question, I understand that I would have to reinstall the Operating System, but what about all the files that where backed up from the Prgram Files(86) directory, that contains all my installed programs, why should I have to reinstall them, is it because of the fact that the registry of the new OS would not recongnise them if not re-install?

Thanks for your expertise.

Bat

Capbat99 wrote:

Thanks for your welcoming words Bill.

Further to this question, I understand that I would have to reinstall the Operating System, but what about all the files that where backed up from the Prgram Files(86) directory, that contains all my installed programs, why should I have to reinstall them, is it because of the fact that the registry of the new OS would not recongnise them if not re-install?

Thanks for your expertise.

Bat

SmartWare does not backup your program folder or files.  It only backs up your data.  And even if you pointed to that folder to be backed up, you would still have to reinstall all your programs.