How to reset WD My Book Essential and start install over?

No, I couldn’t see it in Disk Utility.  I did not reformat it before attempting to use it on my Mac because the quick setup guide that came with it only said to plug in the power, plug in the USB, and then you see the Main Menu of the WD SmartWare.  Of course all of this was in icons, no text.  It was only after I got it all screwed up that I looked at the written instructions.  If it had to be reformatted for the Mac there should have been some kind of warning or notice with the quick guide.  I just wanted a HD I could connect to my Mac and be able to use it at once without any kind of formatting.  The box said it was PC and Mac compatible.  That with the simplified quick guide would easily lead one to think that all one had to do was plug it in and connect it.  I’m returning it to Wal-Mart tomorrow.  Then I’ll find a 500 GB external HD specifcally for Mac so I don’t have to go through all that reformatting and setting up.  That’s one of the reasons I prefer Mac over Pc.  Almost every peripheral for the Mac is simply plug it in and go.

Thanks,

Robert M.