How Best To Watch Media From your WD Media Hub on your Tablet Device

THE GOAL: To use my iPad tablet to watch 1 or more videos that I currently can watch on my TV that are on either my WD Media Hub or one of the USB Drives I have plugged into the WD Media Hubs USB ports.

RESTRICTIONS:

1. Avoid use of iTunes (at all cost)
  2. Avoid paying out $100 or kmore for another physical device like the WD MyCloud box.

I’m totally fine with spending a few dollars on 1 or more iPad apps that might be necessary to watch DRM fee media on an iPad. I just don’t want to have to use iTunes in any way shape or form. The process for manually copying files to any portable Apple device is insanely and unnecessarily complicated (because Apple wants you to be forced to use iTunes so they can control what you do) and while I can do that I would rather drop a few dollars on an iPad friendly app that can perform some level of file management for me (copying one or more files from an external source either via the network connection or from a directly connected source) . I’ve read that GoodReader would be a good candidate for this purpose but I have no personal experience with the app. As far as a media player goes I read that CineXPlayer is a good choice because it can handle a plethora of video formats; both codec and container.

What I have so far is a recommendation from an article at the nerdbusiness.com blog that says to use GoodReader to both copy files to the iPad and to force the media player app (either CineXPlayer or AVPlayerHD ) to play the file by selecting using GoodReader and selecting the ‘Open With’

Option and then selecting either CineXPlayer or AVPlayerHD and then that app will always play that media file from there forward.

If anyone has an alternative recommendation please let me know.

Thanks

Hi there,

I believe that you will need to install a media server on your Ipad in order to stream your files.