Help: How to backup mapped network drive?

I have a My Book Essential 2 TB connected via USB 3.0 to my computer. I can back up my computers drives no problem. But I can’t figure out how to include mapped network drives that I have full control of. What am I missing?

What software are you using for backup and what OS are you siing?

Joe

I’m using the smartware software that came with the My Book drive, and I’m running Windows 7 64bit

I have the same question - using Windows XP SP3 and MyBook Essential with WD SmartWare version 1.5.1.6

The SmartWare software appears only to be able to backup files on the C: drive, however it would be far more helpful to be able to backup from the MyComputer “root”, in which case mapped network drives could be selected as an option.

This is especially important as a business user.

Many thanks.

The Smartware won’t work for that. It only backs up selct file types not the whole drive. I don’t think it will work for a mapped network drive either. You may need to purchase something especially for business use.

Joe

dubdub wrote:

I have a My Book Essential 2 TB connected via USB 3.0 to my computer. I can back up my computers drives no problem. But I can’t figure out how to include mapped network drives that I have full control of. What am I missing?

By design SmartWare only backups data from the internal drives, or drives that are connected driectly to the computer, by USB or Firewire;  it is unable to backup from a SmartWare drive or network drives.