Deleted Folders from C Drive - Remain in Backup on External Drive

Following a Backup of specified Folders with WD Smartware PRO 2.3.0, I deleted several folders on the C drive.  
I later ran another backup and expected the deleted folders to be removed by the 2nd Backup (assuming the backup is a mirror of selected folders).   However, the deleted folders/files are still in the backup.

Is this normal??

Update:  After seeing another post at this forum - appears this is normal.  Deleted folders and files remain in the backup.  This can cause the the backup to “grow” and become larger than the source.  If required - the deleted Folders and/or fies can be manually deleted from the backup. 

d-wduser wrote:

Update:  After seeing another post at this forum - appears this is normal.  Deleted folders and files remain in the backup.  This can cause the the backup to “grow” and become larger than the source.  If required - the deleted Folders and/or fies can be manually deleted from the backup. 

That’s correct.

Backup and synchronization are two different things.

The Smartware software does not sync the files.

1 Like

Is this also the way that windows backup works?

If i retrieve the files from backup, will i get all the old and deleted files too or only the latest version? In other words, is it “only” a problem with maintaining the size of the backup area or it’s also a correctness issue?

Thanks.

All backup programs work in a similar way.

You might want to research for a synchronization software.

The files will be updated according to the settings you have. Smartware allows you to keep a number of changes of the files. After that amount set has been backed up the oldest file will be discarded when a new change is made thus keeping the amount of copies of the files to the set numbers previously selected.