Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS v5.20 not working on my WD5000HHTZ hard drive

I downloaded “Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS v5.20” from the downloads page for my hard drive the WD5000HHTZ then I copied it to a floppy disk, booted my PC with my new unformatted drive in it and all I get is the message “remove disks or other media press any key to start”, so I redownloaded the software and copied it to a different floppy disk but I still get the same message.

I then tried sea tools for dos version 217 (graphical version) on a CD and it works just fine, so what is up with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS and why won’t it run?.

I presume that sea tools for dos will do the same job?, I just wanted to check my new hardrive was OK before using it.

*Alienware Area 51 7500 R4 Desktop

*EVGA nForce 680i 122-CK-NF68-BR motherboard

*WD5000HHTZ unformatted hardrive

Hello,

Are you going to use this drive as a primary drive or secondary drive?

Check the sata cable.

Please note that this drive is a Sata III 6 Gb/s transfer rate. Make sure that you are connecting the drive to the right ports on your motherboard.

Another thing that you can try is to copy the dlg tool in to a usb flash drive.

Hi and thanks for the reply,

the drive will be used as a primary drive, no other drives attached at the moment, the cable is fine, the drive is detected and sea tools for dos runs on it, Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS however doesn’t for some reason.

the drive is backwards compatible with SATA 2 / 3Gb/s and is connected as it should be.

I Will try a flash drive later.

Cheers

I looked in to trying to make a bootable flash drive, but the Alienware software I tried to create one with didn’t work on my flash drive and all of the other programs that I found on the internet also failed, lack of knowledge of dos commands really didn’t help me but even when I got them right I just got errors.

I was wondering why there is no .iso CD file to download anymore as it would of been so much easier but I came across another post saying that WD removed it due to so few downloads, odd!.

Reading the downloads page again it seems like I was supposed to also make a bootable floppy, I was expecting one to be created when I clicked on the .exe file but it didn’t do that making me wonder at first if maybe it no longer needed it so I just copied the file to a floppy, so maybe that is my problem, I did replace an older Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS .exe file with the new one on a bootable floppy but I just got the same error message as before.

Could you by any chance recommend a free and easy to use program that I can create a bootable floppy with that will run the .exe file and see if it works?.

Thanks

Problem solved:

I dug out an an old Windows XP Pro m-dos startup floppy disk, added dlgdiag5.exe and DLGLICE.TXT to it, placed it in my floppy drive, booted the machine, let it load then typed dlgdiag5.exe and hit the enter key.

So simple, something I thought of trying first and ended up trying last lol.

Drive passed the test, good to go as soon as I get an answer to this one:

Windows XP Pro 32bit to Win7 Ultimate 64bit jumper,align?

For anyone who needs to create a floppy startup disk to run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS read below:

*I’m not sure how these instructions may differ on different operating systems I’m using Windows XP myself but I am sure that you can work it out:

For those of you that have a floppy drive: insert a blank floppy disk (it’s going to get formatted so you will lose any data that is already on it) click the start button then click on my computer, right click on your floppy drive, select format, put a tick in create an MS-DOS startup disk, click start, once its done go to the folder where you downloaded the dlgdiag_5_20.zip to, right click on it, choose extract files, click on your floppy drive icon to extract it to, click on the OK button and it will then extract the files and add them to your MS-DOS startup disk, then all you have to do is place the floppy disk in to the drive of the PC that you want to run the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS program on, make sure that your bios are set to boot from floppy 1st then start up your PC, after the disk has finished loading type dlgdiag.exe press the enter/return key on your keyboard, accept the license agreement and away you go.

You may need a different version of Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS than the one that I am using for your particular hard drive so go to http://www.wdc.com move your mouse pointer on to Support (top right of the page) then click on downloads and enter the model number of your hard drive in to the “Find by Model Number” search box then click on the arrow to the right of the box to search for it and it will list all the available downloads for your hard drive.