Can the lastest WD SmartWare software version perform a full backup/restore (system/data files)

Thanks.

Any feedback?

If  the answer is no, it  would be  a WD SmartWare update which allow this?.

Our software only does a file by file copy and does not take a complete image of your drive.  This style of backup is great due to the fact that it can constantly monitor your computer for changes and make a copy of what is changed.  The draw back is, it will not back up programs or your Windows operating system.  If you are looking to take an image of your computer, you will need “imaging” or “cloning” software.

1 Like

Where do i get the cloning software and what is required for me to back up my system on my WD drive

Try this http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en  It’s a stripped down version of Acronis True Image. I use the paid version and it works very well. Smatware is total ■■■■. Just look at the mumber of posts.

Joe

1 Like

Hi Joe,

I appreciate this alternative workaround from you. Honestly I feel cheated when I purchased this device by its backup client software. WD must to update it and deliver us a full backup solution for this HD.

Again, thanks.

SmartWare is a type of backup software that runs all the time.  By virtue of how it functions, it will not backup system files.  As was said earlier, you need to find another software that will image the drive.  As was also said earlier, you can download our Acronis software which will do a complete backup image of the system drive. 

We will never make SmartWare capable of doing a full image of your system drive, because it’s a different style of backup software.  If you feel cheated that you can’t do this with SmartWare then you may want to consider returning the drive for one that will do what you want.