Can't make backup with SmartWare

WD Smartware 2.4.2 running under 64-bit Windows 7 Pro with SP1

Following a failure of a family member’s laptop I successfully restored her files to my own laptop and then transferred them to a new drive partition labelled j: so she could work on my machine until hers is fixed.

I then tried to set up a backup from the new j: drive back to her external backup drive but am unable to tick the folders/files that I need to back up.  I can click in the boxes but nothing happens.  If I try this with my c: or d: drives then the ticks appear in the boxes without problem.

I am logged in as an administrator and I can’t see any issues with security settings on this new partition, so what is the problem?

Any help much appreciated.

Is your external WD drive the “J” drive? If so, WD SmartWare will not normally allow you to set a SmartWare drive as a source of data for backup.

Regards,

No.  The “J:” drive is a partition of the hard drive of my laptop.  The external backup drive is the “F:” drive

Before this issue vanishes off the plot, I made a new folder on the J: drive today and it doesn’t even appear in the smartware backup pane. The only folders that appear are the ones I orginally restored from the backup drive and I still can’t tick these in order to continue backing them up.

Have you looked at the SmartWare User Manual and followed the instructions in it to see if that will help?

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf

There is information under the SmartWare Help tab that may help you.

Providing some images of what you are seeing when you try to backup the J: drive/partition would help too.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I’ve read the manual pretty exhaustively but it only describes how the software is supposed to work.  There is no troubleshooting information that I can find.  I’ve also scoured the information under the Help tab but nothing there helps either.

I can certainly send an image but I’m on the wrong machine at the moment and all you would see is a file tree with boxes that I can’t check.