Bootable Disc, Recovery Disc, Complete File Backup

Dear Forum Colleagues:

I’m the new owner of the WD My Passport Ultra.  When my hard drive last crashed, I had a horrible time trying to reproduce my data from backups created by an anti-virus utility’s incremental backups. I had to go through two years worth of backups to find all the files that should have been on one full backup.  With my new laptop, I’d like to do full backups only.  I’d keep a monthly on My Passport off site in a bank vault, and do weekly backups on older and larger WD external drives.

My question is regarding the My Passport Ultra only.  I’d like to know how to best do the following tasks either using WD Apps where possible and practical or manually.

1) Create a bootable disc on My Passport.

2) Create a software recovery disc on My Passport.

3) Create a full backup of my C: drive, (not incremental).

Many thanks,

Andy S.

ApplePicker0007 wrote:

Dear Forum Colleagues:

I’m the new owner of the WD My Passport Ultra.  When my hard drive last crashed, I had a horrible time trying to reproduce my data from backups created by an anti-virus utility’s incremental backups. I had to go through two years worth of backups to find all the files that should have been on one full backup.  With my new laptop, I’d like to do full backups only.  I’d keep a monthly on My Passport off site in a bank vault, and do weekly backups on older and larger WD external drives.

My question is regarding the My Passport Ultra only.  I’d like to know how to best do the following tasks either using WD Apps where possible and practical or manually.

1) Create a bootable disc on My Passport.

2) Create a software recovery disc on My Passport.

3) Create a full backup of my C: drive, (not incremental).

Many thanks,

Andy S.

Smartware doesn’t do any of that. What OS do you use? If you’re on Windows 7/8 then Windows Backup/File Hisotry does all that except for the bootable disc.