Backup Button is Grey and Not working (SmartWare)

Dear Forum Members:

Issue 1: Everytime I try to run a Backup (for my Laptop) using SmartWare and My Passport Essential 500GB Hard-Drive, the Backup button is Grey. Then after I re-install SmartWare, the Backup Button works and I can Backup my Laptop.

Issue 2: Also, when I run my Backup over and over, I don’t know if my Backup files are being overwritten everytime.

Can anyone help with my 2 Issues?

Thanks,

K.C.

Issue 1:

I had similar issues trying to backup USB pen drives. Western Digital recommend ending the Smartware process usng Windows Task manger and re-starting Smartware from [Start] - [programs] - [Smartware]

This is a poor solution but will have to suffice until WD include a ‘refresh drives’ option in Smartware.

Issue2:

Your backed files will only be overwritten when you’ve exceed the  number of versions you wish to keep - and only then if the original file has been modified. Regrading checking/verifying whether a file has been backed up - the date shown in [backup] - [detailed view] is no guarentee that your file is backed up. The only true way of knowing is to attempt to retrieve the file using [retrieve] - [alternative location].

I used to use this tedious method until I eventually lost patience with this poor software and uninstalled it and hid the VCD!

I RESPONDED TO THIS ALREADY BUT THE RESPONSE IS NOT BEING SHOWN SO I AM REPEATING IT.

I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM. BOTH BACKUP AND RETRIEVE ARE IN GRAY AND CAN NOT BE USED. I TRIED THE SOLUTION OF RESTARTING FROM THE START MENU AND IT HAD NO EFFECT.

LACK OF ANY DOCUMENTATION OR HELP ON LINE OR FROM THE WD ON LINE CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENT  HAS MADE MY PASSPORT ESSENTIAL UNUSABLE.