Back up a Nas Drive or a mapped drive

Hi all,

I have just bought a 2tb My Passport Ultra and the main reason was to back up some folders on my NAS as this is where everything is kept rather on all the local computers in our house.

The problem I am having is the WD My Passport only sees the “C” & “D” drive, not the NAS drive.

I have even mapped the required folders on the NAS to drive letters but the WD does not see these either.

Am i doing something wrong as i have never used WD external / portable drives before so am not used to the software.

thanks for any answers.

rustylock,

I believe you are refering to WD SmartWare as opposed to the actual WD Passport Ultra. At this moment WD SmartWare only supports local disk drives as data sources, and only supports WD NAS systems as destination devices.

You may be able to use additional 3rd party applications with your WD Passport Ultra for expanded functionality or replacing WD SmartWare, however, please bear in mind Western Digital is unable to support 3rd party utilities.

I think that is contrary to the added functionality of the Pro version. If I recall, the pro version is supposed to recognize unsupported usb drives and other external drives. These added functionalities do not seem to actually exist in the Pro Version. At least that is my experience.