Acronis True Image WD Edition build 5906 won't install

Acronis True Image WD Edition build 5906 (New version) won’t install because it can’t find any WD hard drives.  

The system I’m installing it on is a Windows 7 64bit PC with 3 Western Digital drives - (2 WD4000AAKS sata drives, 1 WD5000AAKS), and 1 Hitachi HDS72101 drive.  I was trying to upgrade to build 5906 from build 14.184 (the prior version).  I also tried to install after removing the Hitachi drive with the same error message. I have checked the Device Manager and all 3 WD hard drives are reporting that they are indeed WD hard drives.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next?  I appreciate any help you can provide.

PTRB03M,

I would recommend cleaning your system’s registry before attempting to install the application once more as a preventive measure in case this is caused by broken installation keys.

The hardware check is just a basic script, its not going to be something affected by a ‘dirty’ registry or unremoved keys.

The issue is these drives are definitely not supported for some reason, i upgrade installed from b14xxx myself with no issue

WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1
WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0
WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0

I appreciate both of your responses, thank you.

First I did try the registry clean up, and unfortunately that did not help - same error.  Squall_Leonhart was right.

I did get the software to install, this is what worked for me :

The Acronis WD Edition would not install looking at my 3 WD Internal Drives, I plugged in a very old USB WD External Drive, retried the install program and it worked.  On two of my systems the software would only install if there was an external WD drive attached.  You can then detach the drive after the install and the software continues to function.

Not sure if there is a problem with the software not seeing an internal drive, but at least I got around it and it works fine for me now.

1 Like

It would have to be an issue with older drives, my drives are all internal though 2 of them are fairly recent (FAEX and EFRX)

The problem is WD does not update this modified version of Acronis that often and Acronis doesn’t support it. Acronis is good about updating their paid versions and solving problems with it and have a very good forum but that doesn’t help the WD version users. Does your boot CD work? It is important that it does. I make my images from the boot disk and it is needed to restore an image.

Joe

You of course are aware this is NOT a sollution, it is a work around. not everyone has extra old drives laying around that they can throw into machines some newer machines no longer support old IDE drives so we can’t do that as a sollution.

And if they do they might not be WD.

The REAL sollution, would be an update to the program that included these newer drives and took into account raid systems.

I agree that how I fixed it was not the solution for everyone, that is why I said “Not sure if there is a problem with the software not seeing an internal drive, but at least I got around it and it works fine for me now.” 

There obviously is still an issue.  This was the solution that worked for me is all I was saying and you are right, it is a work around. 

Ghod2 makes a good point that it wouldn’t work for everyone, and my hope would be that WD and Acronis would look into why the software doesn’t work for older drives be they SATA like mine, or older IDE drives.