WD 4TB Sharespace support Seagate 2TB HDD?

Hi Team, I have one 4 TB Sharespace, It come installed with 4 X 1TB WD caviar Green drives with RAID 5. Now my Share space is fully utilized and I tried to change the drives with 2 TB four HDDs (Seagate Barracuda 2TB). After the installation of new drive I can’t configure the WD sharespace and also not possible to access it. But if using the old drives then I can access the RAID. How I can configure the new 2TB four HDDs ( Seagate ) in sharespace , is it required 2 TB WD Caviar Green HDD for WD Sharespace ? Advice please Regards MK

Hey, Unfortunately, you can not use any other type of Hard Drives other than Cavier Greens (look in your instruction manual). Its pretty poor for WD to restrict you, it would e nice to have the choice… I think that’s why you can’t buy the ShareSpace bay empty…

Hi WD team/ Cyberblitz, Thanks for updated. I have one more query – my plan is to upgrade existing 4x1TB HDD to 4x 2TB HDDs with new RAID 5 setup. Can I use new 2TBs four WD cavier Green HDD in Sharespace for a RAID 5 configuration? and also very rarely I want to access the data from my old configuration ( 4x1TB WD caviar Green RAID 5 - I want this RAID 5 setup , this 1TBs HDDs I want to keep in offsite ) . Many thanks

4x2TB Cavier Green HDDs will be fine and you can set this up as RAID 5… As for transferring your 4x1TB drives to a different NAS box, I don’t think that will work… WD ShareSpace utilises some of the space on your HDDs for base system, ths won’t work else where… I suggest you transfer your files off first then set up your new 8TB system and transfer them back on this… You could use your spare 4x1TB HDDs as an initial back up once formatted…

Hi Cyberblitx, Very thanks for your replay, if I configure a new RAID 5 with 4x2TB WD Cavier Green disk , in later can I access data with my old 4x1TB disk in same WD share space system ? ( I transfer 4x1TB drives to an another WD share space same system , that time I can’t access the data from new WD share space) I would Like to configure new RAID 5 with 4x2TB disks and I want to save existing RAID 5 - 4x1TB disk in offsite for later data access. Is it possible ? Thanks in advance

I’m a little puzzled to what your trying to do? I’m finding it difficult to read your English. Try explaining more clealy if you can…

Hi Cyberblitx , My Existing 4x1TB RAID 5 is full now and I am planning to keep these HDDs in offsite. If I configure a new RAID 5 with 4x2TBs new HDD drive in WD Sharespace, and after can I access data from my old 4x1TB HDD with the same WD sharespace ? Thanks

I really have no idea if this would work… It may do, considering the base Linux system is placed on the drives but I would definitely back up your data else where before attempting this…