VERY slow network speed!

more info:

hxxp://westerndigital.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:ShareSpace

I have been messing about with the Frame sizes on on the WD Sharespace, my switch and PC’s … I have to say the performance varies hugely…

Currently got it set at 9004 on the WD…   still maxing out at @10mb/s on transfers from the box though…  but much better than it was before at @ 5mb/s … and I am running the latest firmware…

If its any consulation its faster than my old Terrastion … although way off what I expected

Best Regards

Craig

i see some difference in specs on nas-central site and ixbt - may be different hardware releases. But as I promise please take attention on screenshot. We can see Putty terminal window from SHARESPACE and executed TOP  command, which shows cpu utilization in moment when I copying some file from my laptop to Sharespace. We see that CPU load over 95% by SMBD and KJOURNALD and network perfomance near 7MBytes\s.  . NO COMMENTS!!! The CPU of SHARESPACE is too weak!!!

So You see that file transfer operation extremly utilize CPU. There is no hope, nothing to wait from WD support !

Hi,

so i bought a new WD Share SPace with 4 TB. The first step bevore create raid ore configure the setting was to update the FW to

2.2.9 with MioNet 4.3.0.8
built on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:49:04

After installation was complete i configured my Shared Space with static ip and turend every think off. Only FTP for 1 Folder. And Raid 5

But the Speed inside of GB Network is so bad that is not normal.

The max speed via FTP is 12MB/s upload… ( no comment )

Upload files via CIF OMG there  performance omg…

In my network there are no problems ! i have another NAS from Intel and when i uploade files via FTP to the Intel NAs ui hafe up to 70MB/s.

iam very angry about that bad Speed. A NAS with 12MB/s via FTP is not normal there is my cell phone faster…

regards

buddsn

Hi again!

And again apologize me for my bad english.

Now ive run all test there to run on this WD Sharespace 8TB ■■■■. At my company we run a giga network, our old server i tranfering with a speed of 45-50mb/s, and that old server with linux is from stoneage.

Here is my speeresults om my “Brand new HIGHSPEED WD Sharespace 8TB” server:

Tranfer to thw WD: speed 9,1mb/s

Tranfer from the WD: speed 8,8mb/s

Copy from a folder to another folder on the WD: 4,4mb/s…YES ITS TRUE…4,4mb/s (never done this before so this was even for me a new expiriens, i dident thong i could be slower that the 8,8mb/s but i was…wrong)

Cut and past a file from a folder to another folder on th WD: 4,6mb/s!!!

So, HIGHSPEED server “my **bleep**”, sory for my bad language, but someone should sue you for missleading ppl

Im feeling cheated! Not to mention all the hours i speende on this pice of ■■■■ trying to configure and debug it! Coz as many maný other here, ive got NOTHING absolutly nothing back from trying mail to the support, the onlything they had to say to me was “thats the way it is, we cant do anything about it”.

Today i talked again to the shop i bought it from, and i will get my money back, but first they will send my Sharespace to Norway, dont ask me why, for some tests. If they test shows the same results as i told them i will get every penny back.

And then i will buy a new server, but never ever again a server from WD. Not for its prodocts but for their wothless support.

If they cant fix a well known problem in almost two years, they should consider to work with something else and not on the support on a large world wide company as WD.

PS: Ive got the question from the shop i bough my WD from why i bought it since i knew/read that it was a speedproblem  with the 2TB and 4TB.

I bought it since in my stupidity i thought that WD, a world wide company, fore sure fixed a problem like that and dident went on selling something that isent work or isent éven near the specifications given on their site.

And here ends my story, now i keep my thumbs that the norwiegans can run the tests ASAP so i can get my money back and buy me a new one,.

The pissed of angry swede

Nicolas E

And what you think about that? taken from PC-MAG lab: “ShareSpace averaged 11.2 Megabytes per second (MBps). The first test was conducted with RAID 5 redundancy. That’s faster than the BlackArmor NAS 220 and the  LG N4B1. Changing the hard drive configuration to Stripe yielded slightly faster results: 13.5 MBps. This is one of the fastest NAS appliances I’ve tested in PCMag Labs.”

offtopic, but … just now a got unswer from WD support:

I would recommend downloading no more than 3 torrents at 1 time.
Sincerely,
Scott
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

sounds funny

not use our device in any way you purchase it for - not download torrent not use twonkey, ftp and than may be it will work and may be not

WD put your life on it!!! -funny moto

now I understand

WD put your life on it and your life will be fery funny

you’ll wandering every day, spend a lot of time of your life on forums, find new friends like you …

I purchased a new WD ShareSpace and have configured it.   I am on the firmware 2.2.8 and I am also concerned about the file transfer speeds.

Over the weekend, I attempted to transfer approximately 600 GB from my Windows 2003 server to the WD ShareSpace.   I started on Friday at 6pm.  The copy didn’t finish until Monday morning at approximately 9am.     That is approximately 63 hours to transfer 600 GB from a Windows 2003 server with 2 GB memory, a Gigabit ethernet card, through a 3m Gigabit switch, to the WD ShareSpace.

In addition, the one-step backup button seems to take 14 hours to backup my default share of that 600 GB.    I am performing the backup to a WD MyBook 3.0 device, using the USB cable that came with the MyBook.

When I attempted the firmware upgrade through the web management tool, I also received the Connection Refused message.  My firewall is configured to allow all outbound traffic, so I do not believe that the connection issue is on our end.   I am thankful now that I didn’t upgrade after reading all the posts.

I will go through the motions to log a trouble call into the Support line, but I thought I would add my experience with the transfer speeds to the discussion.

DerSiedler wrote:

Ah. OK. I was confused, too. 70-80 MB/s. That really sounded like a miracle. So no news.

:wink: I blinked twice as well. so about 7mbps, which seems to be the peak sustained throughput. Totally unacceptable for equipment with SATA drives and promoted as a Gigabit device over ethernet.

Some MAC OS users declare that they have 70MBytes\sec data transfer via AFP protocol, not SMB\CIFS. So may be some bugs in SAMBA`s smbd??? I try to check this tonight.

It sounds like a very bad dream, buying an expensive product from a manufacturer who has earned his stripes in the harddisk world, but on this part of developement they are minor infants. They really overstepped there boldness.

I’m now in the process of returning the 8TB to the store if copying from it wouldn’t take so **bleep** long.

At  WD, shame on you, your policy, your support, and every bit you have. Shame on the promotional commercials you advert with, they should put you on trial for misleading customers for more than 2 years, as i read here.

Every unsatisfied customer should have his money returned asap.

I AM NOT GOING TO BUY ANY NAS FROM WD AGAIN! GROW UP!

avandel wrote:

It sounds like a very bad dream, buying an expensive product from a manufacturer who has earned his stripes in the harddisk world, but on this part of developement they are minor infants. They really overstepped there boldness.

I mentioned earlier that I found the unit I bought being heavily discounted.  Maybe something’s up, i.e., they’re about to cut their losses?

I’m sorry to inform you, but i try to bring it back to the store, but i still have to copy about 600GB from the device to another safe place, but the performance is SO [deleted] BAD that i hope i make it until tommorow when i am able to return it to the store.

I am so disappointed in YOU as a NAS solution, we should think of another name for this product, not Sharespace but something like Slowspace or Angryspot or … think of it. I read all over this section of the forum that 'We are working on it" I don’t think so either, they cannot fix it, the only way is to remove the processorboard and place e better on in it, but you guys won’t admit we are right. If it was a software/firmware glitch, you had it covered yet, but you don’t.

Forget i bought anything at your convenience.

This is interesting:

NAS Performance Comparison

The ShareSpace isn’t in the list, but the WD stuff is where you’d probably expect it to be,

nice link GuiGuy. Why Why i didnt buy the Qnap… :angry:

Where is everybody? I still waiting here for an official reply from WD.

And WD waiting while the issue resolves itself…:stuck_out_tongue:

Dragged all from the WD, restored factory defaults and let the device rebuild it’s raid… 2100 minutes, which means longer than a day !!! :manmad:

I was deleting some musicfiles from the device and it took about 200 minutes…

Man, how dare they selling this piece of **bleep**.

I’m so glad i can return this ■■■■!

I hope for those who can’t return it, take the disks out and make a NAS yourself with a motherboard and a raid controller, processor, memory and a SSD drive for the os FREENAS.org.

Build it yourself (look for that on youtube, you’ll find something.)

Bye everybody and good luck.

Would just like to add my voice to this issue…

I’ve had the 4TB sharespace for a few weeks now and I noticed very slow network transfer speeds, far slower than I’d have expected for a gigabit raid device!

I had a couple of torrents downloading on the ctorrent client… ssh’d into the device and found the load level at 17+…

Killed off the ctorrent client, the downloader was disabled, disabled mionet and the itunes server too (left twonky running) and the load average is still 6 at the moment (trying to copy some photos onto it averaging about 4.5 MB/sec)

Obviously there is either something that is chewing up way too much CPU, or the device is inherently underpowered… not sure if I should try and get a refund or not!

WD is there any scope for this to be sorted out? Your device has problems.

supwner wrote:

Where is everybody? I still waiting here for an official reply from WD.

Whilst I’ve taken my ShareSpace back for a refund, which will forever cast doubt about buying another WD NAS device, I have been researching the nature of these devices.

First and foremost, a NAS devise is not a server.  Performance will always be an issue to greater or lesser degree.  My own experience was that the SHareSpace was unable to sustain more than one user at a time. That is, when two or more users wanted to watch a video file, the ShareSpace would start to stutter. A three users it would stop. This is not what one would expect on a properly working network, nevermind a gigabit network.

IN regard to the ShareSpace, a quick google   reveals that it is a sloth. Of all the NAS device out there it is probably the slowest.

The hardware specs are not encouraging and, I suspect, have some serious design flaws. It is encumbered by a propietory OS, so end user tweaking is limited.

All of this suggest to me that no amount of updated firmware will resolve the performance problems. Which is, of course, why WD is not responding to the pitiful cries for help from these forums.  Corporate policy will state never admit liability, and only state the positive. There is nothing positive about the ShareSpace.

So, my advice is, get a refund if you can. If you can’t, rip the HDDs out and use them in  a proper NAS device or build yourself a FreeNAS box with leftovers.

Finally,  in regard to the WD specifically, I came across this warning.   I don’t know if it applies to the SHareSpace, but I’d be switching Twonky off!!