Root and admin password changed

When I changed the password for users inside the administration panel (web), admin was forced to log-out and I could not login again with admin with previous password. I tried to access via ssh for both username admin and root also failed. Somehow the database of password has gone.

I tried to reset the WD using reset button, the network configuration has changed, yet I still can not access the web panel with admin/admin – saying that the username/password mismatch. 

I still can see the media through Twonky. I can still access through network share with admin/admin.

But, how to access the admin panel or ssh?

rgds,

aa

I am not familiar with SSH, maybe someone else can help you with it.  When you reset the ShareSpace make sure you are holding the reset button for at least 20 seconds.

Before I posted my problem previously, I tried already with several attempts of pushing the reset button for 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 30 seconds, and even 60 seconds, and none of them did work. The effect of reset was already seen as the network configuration has changed (previously I set to be manual static IP address, and now become default DHCP IP assignment), yet the combination of username/password – admin/admin is still not accepted in web-panel.

In my opinion there should be something to do with username/password database file.

Is there a way to load back the WD image through other machine (although it will void the warranty or erase the data)?

Also that after reset, telnet connection is available. Below is the interactive session in telnet:

Antonius-Ajis-MacBook-Pro:~ aaji$ telnet 192.168.2.18 23
Trying 192.168.2.18…
Connected to 192.168.2.18.
Escape character is ‘^]’.

WDShareSpace login: admin
login:
no valid shadow password
Connection closed by foreign host.

Antonius-Ajis-MacBook-Pro:~ aaji$ telnet 192.168.2.18 23
Trying 192.168.2.18…
Connected to 192.168.2.18.
Escape character is ‘^]’.

WDShareSpace login: root
login:
no valid shadow password
Connection closed by foreign host.

Both login for admin and root in telnet session were rejected with “no valid shadow password”

Below is the session of SSH:

Antonius-Ajis-MacBook-Pro:~ aaji$ ssh root@192.168.2.18
root@192.168.2.18’s password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@192.168.2.18’s password:

Antonius-Ajis-MacBook-Pro:~ aaji$ ssh admin@192.168.2.18
admin@192.168.2.18’s password:
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

I previously (before the problem) set “admin” to access SSH. I tried already with all combination of password: admin/admin, admin/“previous password”, root/“previous password”, root/welc0me and no avail.

And accessing through web, this is the result with all combination username/password in my file: admin/admin, admin/“previous password”:

User name and password do not match when you login ‘Network Storage Manager’!

Currently, I can access the media file through Twonky, and although the SMB share is seen in network, but I cannot access the folder.

I am ready to overwritten the image to the machine from other machine, and ready to open the box. But, please let me know how to do it. I am about to download the ISO file from WD support center.

rgds,

aa

I am not sure whether what happened to me also has happened to someone else with his WD Share Space, but when searching on the net, there were several incidents on network-based storage such as

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11468&p=73157

But, this guy may have possibly some lucks as there was a console to connect.

What I can think about WD Share Space is to reinstall the linux image, yet I do not know how to do it. 

Also during googling, there was incident for not having the web admin panel, but this guy was lucky as the SSH access was still possible and hence the guy could fix from SSH connection. I found it here:

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/sharespace

But, what we should do if telnet and ssh connection is refused. There should be a way, but it seems that WD company is reluctant to tell how to do it.

rgds,

aa

In relation to my previous posting,

the following link describe on how to recover from bricked WD (not Share Space, but similar), unfortunately I could not access the console (telnet, ssh etc.)

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-175889/how-to-recover-unbrick-reset-the-wd-mybook-while-light-possible-scenarios

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-175057/can-not-log-in-into-webadmin-gui-w-admin-admin-after-hard-reset

And I’d like to do clean install from the disk as describe below, but I do not know the detail for WD Share Space. They use other linux machine to install the operating system directly to harddisk, but how exactly? If anybody can shed the light on the harddisk structure of WD SS, I am ready to open the box rather than the box sitting idle doing nothing.

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-171834/my-book-world-edition-white-unbrick-guide

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/install-clean-hdd-in-white-light-my-book-world-edition

If anybody knows how to do it WD Share Space, please share with me.

rgds,

aa

Guys,

The following steps were what I did to get my WD SS back a live.

a. Purchased USB-SATA Enclosure 4X Probox

b. Downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 and created Live CD

c. Removed all 4 HDD in WDSS (and marked the HDD corresponding to their order) and installed in SATA Enclosure

d. Used a laptop with Ubuntu LiveCD as in (b) to recover the RAID 5 data (I followed the steps as how to recover the RAID 5 data in this forum, and interestingly the Ubuntu recognized NASRAID as attached device). It was easy to browse and recover the files and store in other storage.

e. Switched back to Windows 7 and downloaded WD Data Lifeguard

f. Starting from HDD #1 (the lowest HDD in WDSS), erased the HDD with WD Data Lifeguard “Zero Writing”.

g. Put back only one HDD into WDSS box –  the LED blinking green, waited for 5 minutes, and WDSS was ready and could be access from web-panel.

h. Zeroed HDD #2 with WD Data Lifeguard

i. Powered down WDSS, and inserted HDD #2 into WDSS – the LED blinking green, it took about 20 minutes to get solid green.

j. Zeroed HDD #3 and #4 as above steps.

h. Accessed the webpanel, changed the password, activated SSH, and rebuilt the RAID – this took times.

Unfortunately, I lost Twonky media server. Anybody knows how to reinstall the Twonky?

But, at least my WDSS works again although I had to spend time and money to buy 4X Probox, and lost Twonky. WD should provide better guide on this.

rgds,

aa

Last update – twonky server was installed by upgrading the lates firmware. I did manually by downloading the image file of the firmware.

rgds,

aa